A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Strange Resonance

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Resonance

Hey guys, just got my exhaust installed, sounds good. Also got a forge SPLIT-R! I remember reading about a resonance that occurs in a specific spot during the RPM range, and its normal. I think what I'm getting could be it, but I want to make sure.
Basically while letting the RPMs slow me down I get a nice rumble under the seat, a slight gurgle in the exhaust and a chatter/flutter from the splitter valve. This only occurs from 2400 to 2200 RPM and I get no warning lights. Any idea what the problem might be? At first I thought it was just the right frequency to rattle the car a little, but now that the splitter is sounding off too, I'm skeptical. The valve sounds a little like a bell being rung, but someone's holding onto the outside of the bell, so it doesnt reverberate. Just a higher pitched, clink clank clink.

Forge said the valve will rattle a bit and release boost at part throttle, and it does, but this strange noise only occurs at the above RPMs, only while engine braking and only in conjunction with the exhaust.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Now I'm starting to worry that I hear it around 3k RPMs. I think one thing to do is to plug up the BOV side of the splitter valve. That might make some of it go away.
The thing is it kinda rattles around while I'm rolling down the road. I know it does it at most RPMs and I can only hear that windows down near a wall (where the sound deflects) but it gets loud enough to hear in cabin at the above stated RPMs. I'm slightly worried it might be something other than the valve.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Is it installed correctly?

Originally Posted by kayakman13
Now I'm starting to worry that I hear it around 3k RPMs. I think one thing to do is to plug up the BOV side of the splitter valve. That might make some of it go away.
The thing is it kinda rattles around while I'm rolling down the road. I know it does it at most RPMs and I can only hear that windows down near a wall (where the sound deflects) but it gets loud enough to hear in cabin at the above stated RPMs. I'm slightly worried it might be something other than the valve.
Ive heard of weird things happening if these things are put on backward or upside down or something like that.