A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A Summary about the difference between Quattro and other 4 wheel drive vehicles. Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-1999, 03:23 AM
JimM

Default A Summary about the difference between Quattro and other 4 wheel drive vehicles. Please!!!

I have read the F.A.Q but would really like a very simple short description of the difference between Quattro and the SUVs. Can anyone help?
Old 01-11-1999, 04:16 AM
Jeff

Also...is the Subaru Impreza and Mitsu Lancer EVO V's 4wd systems better or worse than Quattro?
Old 01-11-1999, 07:54 AM
Ray Calvo

Default Re: A Summary about the difference between Quattro and other 4 wheel drive vehicles. Please!!!

"Road & Track" had a good description about 10 years ago in an article they had. In regards to to the Sube vs. Audi differences, as far as I know the Sube is largely set up to put about 95% power to the front wheels; only when these start slipping is power sent to the rears. I think they cannot go beyond a 50/50 power split.<p>The Audi iss set up, to my knowledge to, give a 50/50 split under normal conditions; if front or rear starts slipping, will redisitribute power to front or rear wheels that still have grip, up to a limit of 95/5 or 5/95 to front and rear. Audi useds a mechanical power converter (Torqsens?) to redisitribute this power. Think that the viscous coupling on the Mitsubishis accomplish the same thing with a fluid torque transfer case.<p>Which is best? Personally, think either the Mitsu or Audi is Superior over the Sube.
Old 01-11-1999, 08:00 AM
knh

Default Wrong. Subarus come in 50/50 split as well (more)

Subarus with manual transmissions start at 50/50 and go from there. Subarus with automatics start 90/10 or thereabouts and adjust from there. I believe the manuals are entirely mechanical (viscous) and the autos are electonically controlled via the transmission. I had an Outback auto (replaced by an A4 1.8T) and have a manual Impreza RS. I definitely prefer the 50/50 split.
Old 01-11-1999, 10:55 AM
Dank

Default Between quattro and SUVs is easy...

Most SUVs are manually switched into and out of 4WD. So quattro is always on, which helps in those unexpected situations. SUVs with 4WD tend to not have a differential between the left and right side, so you should not be driving in 4WD mode unless the tires have slippage, or you will damage the tires and axis.<p>The difference between quattro and Subaru or any full-time 4WD systems (like the Mercedes M-class, or Ford's top-of-the-line system, or the new Jeep system), I can't help you with...