A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Survey: What gas do you prefer to use (especially with chip upgrade)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-1999, 07:12 AM
MikeR

Default Survey: What gas do you prefer to use (especially with chip upgrade)?

Of course you should use premium grade, but what brand do folks prefer. Anyone with pinging problems find a brand that works better than others? Or any brand seem to perform better?
Old 07-18-1999, 09:13 AM
Doofus

Unleaded.
Old 07-18-1999, 10:00 AM
donp

Best results: Shell 93, HORRIBLE results: Chevron 93
Old 07-18-1999, 10:07 AM
Terry D

Default Lousy gas in Phoenix, but.....

I use Shell 93 whenever possible -- everywhere else here is 92. Mobil is my second best. I also use a can of "108 Octane Booster" in the summer, when it is routinely over 100 degrees.<p>On track, I use 76 racing unleaded, 100 octane, at 3.90 per gallon.
Old 07-18-1999, 12:27 PM
Harvey

Default Re: Survey: What gas do you prefer to use (especially with chip upgrade)?

I'm in the petroleum industry and can tell you that quality in general sucks nationwide. You can do the following to minimize the chance of getting bad gas. First,ask your local Amoco, Arco, Texaco etc. if they are corporate owned or owned by an individual. BUY only at corporate owned stores. I personally buy Texaco if at all possible because Texaco delivers only in corporate owned trucks to their corporate stores.2nd buy at a newer store that pumps lots of gas - less chance of getting crud out of tanks. 3rd ask the station manager how often they change filters(all gas stations have water and debris in their tanks).Your only protection is the filters - a dirty or clogged filter lets it into your gas tank.4th if you suspect you do get bad gas report it - all states have someone who actually goes out to stations and checks for accurate dispensers and looks to see if the premium is really premium.5th do find a source for 101 unleaded and mix a few gallons with the normal premium you use especially on modified cars.As a last resort dump some of the octane booster from the parts store into the tank if you suspect "bad gas"."bad gas usually means the station is cheating on the blend - most stations no longer have separate tanks for each grade of gas but only have a tank for regular and premium ,mid grade is a blend and the easiest way to cheat you is to blend less premium into the midgrade.AVOID midgrade. Sorry about length - email me if you want a bunch more info.
Old 07-18-1999, 01:44 PM
Rich Quinlan

I use Exxon or Shell 93 always, with some Techron FI cleaner every 5000 miles or so.
Old 07-18-1999, 02:19 PM
steve

Default Where are you from? Here in Bay Area I can only find Shell 92...=(

.<br>

Trending Topics

Old 07-18-1999, 02:23 PM
donp

Houston
Old 07-19-1999, 08:52 AM
Andy Hedin

Amoco 93 w/ Wett 1.0 Bar
Old 07-19-1999, 09:56 AM
MikeR

Default Thanks for all the detail - interesting post.

NT

Quick Reply: Survey: What gas do you prefer to use (especially with chip upgrade)?