A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

suspension question, bilstein sports + vogtland springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension question, bilstein sports + vogtland springs

Ok, so for hours today i STFA trying to find out what the deal is with the lower perch on the front ones. It appears that I am supposed to reuse the bumpstops, dust boot, perch, etc. The only problem is that the perch is welded to strut. My initial response was "f--- it, I'll just bash that f---er out." But upon closer inspection it seemed like that weld was pretty damn solid and any attempt at bashing it off/out would end in a mangled perch or worse mangled digits. The "guide" that came with the shocks had some kinda picture of what looked like a hammer bashing that f---er off. But the "guide" could have been clearer. I am also replacing the front control arms And a couple other things, one or two rear wheel bearing(s), both motor mounts (both were split in two because the body shop that repaired it after an accident did not replace the snub mount, which I incidently replaced with an APR snub mount which believe it or not managed to pick up a lot of the slack from the broken motor mounts. Or maybe i just thought that it picked up some slack because there was so f---ing much slack with both motor mounts broken and no snub mount at all.) Anyway those motor mounts are a real delight to remove because of the abundance of room to work with. So I by the grace of God managed to get the old ones off new ones on, but it seems like its going to be a real bitch to get that top nut tightened. any suggestions? Moving along; I got the passanger side control arms off, put the new uppers on the shock mount thing, and I'm curious if there is any particular order of replacing them that is easier than others. Because, left to my own devices I have a tendency to do things in the most difficult possible way. Thanks in advance.
-James
Old 01-19-2006, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do one thing at a time.. that will save you alot of headaches.. other then that Im not helpful..

Good luck.
Use crow's feet wrenches.. and sockets on wobble ends , you'll be able to get anything with them
Old 01-19-2006, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Do one thing at a time.. that will save you alot of headaches.. other then that Im not helpful..

This time i used more restraint than usual and didnt just start tearing s--t appart. Only did the motor mounts and the passanger side control arms/shock. the other 3 tires are still on. I thought it would be a good idea to leave one side untouched incase i couldnt remember how it all went. Thanks for the advice.