A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

syncro leaves A4 in driveway

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-1999, 06:34 AM
Ross

Default syncro leaves A4 in driveway

Great morning S. Ont. 10 + inches snow. A4 gets stuck twice in 20 feet. Daughter's 1992 Sycro stick plows out no problem. Roads not plowed , pushed snow with spoiler and bumper. Audi has stock Dunlop 8000 -not M&S. Passat has Michelin 195-15 X M&S 330 snows. Obviously time to put real shoes on Audi. Advantage probably goes to Passat even with equal tires as it has traction control at low speed.<br>PS-- didn't take BMW out of garage. To answer earlier post- with BMW traction control (AST+"automatic stability control + traction") -when slipping occurs you hear and feel antilock brakes working (plus idiot light on dash flashes) Engine power reduces- wheels keep turning jerking and car sits. Ross
Old 01-03-1999, 06:47 AM
JIM H.

Default What kind of...

'92 Syncro w/trac. control was offered in Canada and not U.S.? Does A4 have Quattro? (Might seem a dumb Q., but you weren't specific)
Old 01-03-1999, 06:58 AM
ad

Default no problem in To

With Observe winter tires (195/65/15) quattro had no problem plowing through the snowbanks the plow left this morning. I even went for a joyride last night in the midst of the storm. Car handled extremely well. Time to put the winter boots on.<br>
Old 01-03-1999, 07:02 AM
Ross

Default 98 A4 2.8Q auto Ross

1998 A4 2.8 Q Sport auto hibiscus/grey leatherette
Old 01-03-1999, 07:27 AM
randall

Default downtown To: Geo Tracker stuck, no ground clearance

i have not even tried to leave my garage. A geo tracker got stuck (not enough ground clearance).<p>I don't think traction is a problem, but ground clearance is (stock suspension)<p>i will try later today/<p>1996 a4 2.8 qm<br>
Old 01-03-1999, 07:33 AM
StevenN

Default Re: syncro leaves A4 in driveway ... was it a quattro?

You never said if you A4 was a front-wheel-drive or a quattro. Also, you stated, "Advantage probably goes to Passat even with equal tires as it has traction control at low speed."<p>A4s also have traction control. Audi calls it EDL (Electronic Differential Locking), which uses the antilock brake mechanism to stop the spinning wheel(s).<p>I've driving my A4 in snow halfway up the wheels, and never got stuck. I have the original equipment Goodyear RSA 205/55-16s which are M+S rated.<p>StevenN '96 2.8 qm
Old 01-03-1999, 07:56 AM
Mark

Default 96 A4 2.8 FWD NO PROBLEM!!!

We have 10" snow and I was out and about with not problem. Man I love this car!!
Old 01-03-1999, 08:39 AM
John

Default Re: syncro leaves A4 in driveway

Odd that your BMW behaves so much differently than my 323i. Maybe Minnesota snow and ice not as bad as Ontario's?<p>I regularly pull away from Passat FWD vehicles on snow packed and icy roads here (all are FWD in Minnesota since Synchro not available in the States).<p>My wife's A4 Quattro is much superior to the Bimmer in this respect ONLY on snow and ice. I find the 323i stops and corners better, and this is more important to me.<p>By the way, I have the stock 16" Premium wheels w/ Conti 205/55 M+S tires on the Bimmer.<br>
Old 01-03-1999, 09:24 AM
Ross

Default Oops A4 has edl-Minn.is N.of TO.

I thought edl was like the old posi-traction but I READ the manual. The Passat advantage must have been tires only.<br>Almost all of Minn. is North of Toronto and has tougher winters than southern Ontario.(In spite of all that about "The great white wilderness to the north")<br>My BMW has Michelin MXV4 235-16 stock. They say M&S but are poor even on wet.<br>Ross<br>
Old 01-03-1999, 09:31 AM
MichaelB

Swap to snows or even all-season and you'll see a HUGE difference. Like night and day.

Quick Reply: syncro leaves A4 in driveway