A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Synthetic power steering fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic power steering fluid?

I was filling my windshield washer fluid today and decided to check a few other fluids while I had the hood up. I checked the Power Steering fluid and... It was almost dry! Upon a closer inspection, I found a small crack in the bottom of the reservoir. So I ran to AAP and got a quart of Valvoline synthetic Power Steering fluid. Two quesitons... First should I not be using the Valvoline Power Steering fluid? Second, does anyone know how hard it will be to replace the reservoir? Will I have to bleed the system? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:49 AM

Default NO!!!!! you have to use Pentosin CHF 11s or the stuff from the dealer ONLY

You'll ruin all the seals. You have to flush the whole thing to be safe. so i guess since you have to bleed the whole thing any way it will be easier to replace the reservoir
Old 01-14-2003, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default CRAP! How long do you think it will take to ruin the seals?

It was either put in synthetic or run it dry. What is the best way to drain it?
Old 01-14-2003, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default it was probably not going dry just looked like it was.

leaks here is very common on our cars. probably the most common leak inho. you need to change it asap. like now if possible. if the container is cracked replace it.. usually it just the ear clamps on the hose that leak but it causes quite a mess under the hood and can even short out headlights or other sensors/switches....especialy since all those wires are right next to where the leak starts!
Old 01-14-2003, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default take that out! i'm the only one who's supposed to have non-VAG p/s fluid!

(how's that, AW?)
STP for 2+ years now, never refilled since
Old 01-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default I'm telling you man, you are big time lucky.. My old 5000 had non mineral fluid in it by accident...

it ended up needing a pump AND a rack.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:13 AM

Default Re: CRAP! How long do you think it will take to ruin the seals?

this is how i did it except with the wheels of the ground to take the stress of the pump...

Locate the return hose from the rack. This usually goes to the reservoir. Disconnect it, and let the hose empty into a drain pan. Plug the hole in the reservoir.
Disconnect the coils and injectors.
Fill the reservoir with fresh fluid, crank motor over while turning left and right until the reservoir is almost empty. Refill the reservoir and repeat. Do this until the fluid coming out of the return hose is clean.
The injectors and coils should be disconnected so the motor wont run. At idle, the pump will flow more fluid than you can pour in while trying to turn the wheel at the same time.
A second person watching and refilling the reservoir is a plus.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is the return hose the thicker hose or the thinner hose?
Old 01-14-2003, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I looked at the reservoir agian and there is a lot of grim and liquid built up about an inch...

above the smaller hose. Do you think it could be the hose and not the reservoir that is leaking?
Old 01-14-2003, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I Think its the smaller one but I'm not a 100%.

I really have no idea really what the hell i'm talking about on this one to be honest. well execpt for the stuff I said @ the begining of the thread.

Quick Reply: Synthetic power steering fluid?