A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Talking on the phone, drinking Coffee while driving, what next watching TV?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-1999, 10:37 AM
stanj

I have a picture of a guy playing the flute!! (San Diego)
Old 05-06-1999, 10:39 AM
stanj

Oh, yes, this girl's head disappearing you know where in the car behind me (on the way to Vegas last month)
Old 05-06-1999, 10:58 AM
RS

In Brazil its illegal to drive while talking on phone, but the weird thing is 33% of the people getting busted have a fake phone in their car! (can't remember where I read this).
Old 05-06-1999, 10:58 AM
vik

Default One man's opinion -- even hands-free is unsafe...

People don't realize how much meaning is conveyed non-verbally during a conversation. If you're talking face-to-face with someone, you're gesturing, you're making faces, you're giving them all kinds of body language. Some people say 50% of meaning is transmitted non-verbally.<p>When you're talking on the phone (or typing on the 'net), you lose all that meaning. So you have to concentrate harder on the verbal aspects of the conversation, in order to make sure the meaning gets across. That's concentration that should be devoted to driving.<p>You may not believe me, but I *strongly* believe that this is true. Step back and watch yourself the next time you're talking to someone on the phone -- you might be surprised at how much attention you're giving it. <p>Personally, I think I'm a hard@$$. I get on my wife's case for looking at me when we're talking while she's driving. But I will always believe that driving a car is not as trivial as some people make it. You HAVE to pay close, close attention, or someday, somebody may get seriously hurt. It might never happen, but, then again, it might.<p>I applaud the fact that you realize that driving should be the first priority. I'd argue, though, that it should be the ONLY priority, within reason. <p><br>-vik<br>99.5 1.8tqms
Old 05-06-1999, 10:59 AM
James

Default With all these in-dash monitors available from headset manufacturers . . . .

You just wait, I'm sure they'll figure out a way to incorporate video phones in cars very soon. And from what I've seen, Vancouverites will be the first to have these things installed. :-)<p>BTW, my sister's brand new Golf IV GLS just got rear ended by a woman driving a 4Runner while talking on a cell phone. My sister was STOPPED at a red light!!<p>James Wu<br>A4 Club of Vancouver<br>1998 Black/Onyx 1.8tqa<ul><li><a href="http://vancouver.a4.org">A4 Club of Vancouver</a></li></ul>
Old 05-06-1999, 11:03 AM
Cris

Forget the flute guy... do you have picture of this one?
Old 05-06-1999, 11:31 AM
CraigB

You mean...the GIRL playing the flute? 8^)
Old 05-06-1999, 11:36 AM
Drew S.

Default Please re-read the third paragraph in my message above.

In fact, read the entire message. Neither you nor George Carlin are going to change the habits of the driving population. Accept it and you will be better off.<p>Do you prefer to argue about cupholders and have cars that make it unsafe to carry a drink? Wouldn't it be better to simply add cupholders and reduce the risk? As I clearly said above, people will carry drinks whether you provide cupholders or not. I'd prefer that they have a place to put the drink so that they don't have to actually hold it all the time.<br>
Old 05-06-1999, 12:41 PM
Nick N.

Default The battery in the passenger doesn't die.

k
Old 05-06-1999, 12:45 PM
Nick N.

Default .....Jack D fer me!!!

what?

Quick Reply: Talking on the phone, drinking Coffee while driving, what next watching TV?