A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

TAP StageII

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-1998, 11:16 AM
Chris K

Default TAP StageII

I just recently installed a TAP stage II chip, as well as a custom catback exhaust and a high flow downpipe. I have a tiptronic and I did notice much more boost increase. However I still do get a lag in engine performance in the early stages of accelerations. Maybe this has to do with having a tiptronic? I thought once I upgraded my ECU to a stage II ( I actually went from a stcok ECU to a stage II) that this would perhaps eliminate my turbo lag in the early stages of acceleration. Don't get me wrong. I definitely do feel a power increase. As far as I am aware, with all my upgrades, I have increased my horse power by some 80 horses. Went from 150 to 230 hp. Just wanted to know if anyone with a tiptronic, STAGE II TAP people have experienced the same things I have gone through. Just want to know how I can also eliminate this early lag in acceleration problem. Thanks for all your input.<p>Chris K<br>98.5 1.8TQAS TAP Stage II
Old 12-14-1998, 11:34 AM
Todd H

Default I have a manual - but lag should be reduced...

Chris:<p>I've been running with TAP Stage II for about five months now in my manual 1.8. As you are aware, the less restrictive exhaust reduces back pressure and allows for easy air flow; I found that turbo lag and the overall bottom-end "umph" (caused by the spool then dump effect) feeling was actually reduced with the additon of the exhaust. I'm interested to hear what other automatic owners have to say, beacuse your experience is contrary to my own and somewhat illogical (please, not implying that you are illogical or in some way wrong, just implying that the Audi gremlins must be working some strange magic in your car.)<p>I know this isn't much help, but just bored today.<p>-Todd
Old 12-14-1998, 11:35 AM
randall

Default i thought lag was a function of spool up, not boost

<br>nt
Old 12-14-1998, 11:44 AM
Brad Franklin

Default Re: TAP StageII

A turbocharged engine can be thought of as two parts. One part is the normally aspirated engine, and the second part is the influence of the turbo. Rreplacing a cat causes drastic reduciton of backpressure, especially in addition to an aftermarket exhaust. On a normally aspirated engine tuned to the factory exhaust, this will shift the torque curve up in the rpm scale, noticably less low end torque and more top end power. This is somewhat of a downside. The upside is that less backpressure means a quicker spooling turbo. So what is probably happening is you are noticing the turbo lag more because the engine itself doesn't have as much low end torque any more (to fill in the 'gap' before the turbo kicks in). But when the turbo hits, it will hit a little harder.<p>Brad Franklin
Old 12-14-1998, 12:30 PM
AdrianZ

Default Maybe the gas (more)

I've had a similar problem after I upgraded the ECU. If the gas is not up to spec, the anti-knock sensors retard the timing so that the enigne won't knock. It sort of feels like a momentary hesitation as the engine goes through the RPM's. A lot of people assume that the engine is pinging, but this is not the case. If it were pinging, the engine would make an audible metallic sound, and there hesitation would be more violent.<p>I was using Mobil 93 Octane (which I assumed was sufficient), however, I found out that Mobil uses reformulated gas in NY during the winter ... effectively lowering the octane rating. I tried Citgo and Gulf and the hesitation has gone away.<p>I would suggest trying another gas.
Old 12-14-1998, 12:43 PM
ErikR

Default Lag? Backpressure, another dissertation...

Chris,<p>I don't know what lag you may be refering to. I think you may be feeling a difference in smoothness, rather than lag itself. In a low pressure turbo design, ours, there is high initial compression 9.5:1 which is the same (or higher) as many normally aspirated cars. This is matched with a small turbo. Together they produce a nearly flat torque graph. (same feel all through the rpm band)<p>When you chip it, you create a torque lump/peak. Then the car feels like it has more power at a certain point and less on either side (which is true). BUT, you still have boost from 1,500 rpm.<p>So, it is a perceived lag in the engine response, not a lag in the turbo. Lag in the turbo comes from either big turbos that need lots of rpm to get spinning and/or low compression motors (not independant).<p>Back pressure restricts flow from the exhaust. The turbo must have minimal downstream restriction to spool up. Picture a flat river vs. a steep river. There is a nominal amount of backpressure needed for an engine, BUT that is more than made up for by the exhaust end of the turbo itself. Yes, the turbo outlet is a restriction! You can fix this by getting a kkk04. But short of that, you need as open an exhaust as you can get!<p>The cat(s?) is actually a minimal restriction compared to the resonator and the exhaust turbine, and it is a Federal offence to remove it.
Old 12-14-1998, 06:16 PM
Mike Zamarocy

Default I have the AMS (ABT) Stage II Chip, and Tip (hmmm, chip n tip)

First off, I sure hope you are not getting 280hp! Cause anything over around 240hp will supposedly blow the torque converters in our auto/tip tranny.<p>Next, I think that Todd has nearly hit the nail on the head, in a sense. He has a MANUAL trans. It has more grip, and you can dump the clutch for quick off the line starts. With Auto, even a tip, we can not. Also remember that our trans shifts SLOWLY, and as with most torque converters, there is slippage as well. Not so in a manual. And lastly, we have TALLER gearing, so we would not be as quick off the start anyway, but CAN stay in the gears longer than the manual.<p>Now, as for pinging - I get it, and much worse on hot summer days. But it is only during hard acceleration, and sometimes from a stop. Two things I have found to fix it so far is Union 76 100 octane racing gas, and just this weekend I tried a bottle of NOS Octane Booster (yep, the Nitro folks!). I had the BLUE bottle, which sells for about $9 - and most of the racing yesterday in San Diego I had no pinging, but I also did NOT have as much power as I do when using the REAL 76 Racing gas. But while at the AutoX, there was a booth selling two other interesting items that might help:<p>a silver bottle of NOS Octane Booster - but this HAD Nitro added to it, and was about $12<p>or<p>they were also selling a special mixture (sort of like a concentrate) of Klotz Racing fuel - and supposedly 1 gal of that mixed with 10 gal of Super 92 Octane, will give you near 107 Octane Racing gas. But I think this was priced around $19 - $25<p>I didn't get to try either of those, but I can say, TRY the Union76 100 Octane Racing gas, and you WILL notice a big difference in your car!
Old 12-15-1998, 02:20 AM
ChuckH

Default I think this is the correct answer :-)

My 90Q (no turbo, of course) had the same effect. Opening up the exhaust caused greater power in the upper range, but I lost some in the very low end. No biggy though. I just drive in the upper range 100% of the time now, instead of 90% of the time! :-)<p>Charles<br>
Old 12-15-1998, 06:06 AM
Chris K

Default Re: I have the AMS (ABT) Stage II Chip, and Tip (hmmm, chip n tip)

I was not aware that we are not able to tweak our engines to get anything over 240hp... that's a shame since the manual trans does not have that problem.. have you heard of anything that can be done to overcome this problem? Also where can I get the union 76 100 octane racing gas? Thanks for your help<p>Chris K<br>98.5 1.8TQAS TAP STAGE II
Old 12-15-1998, 09:30 AM
Mike Zamarocy

Default Re: I have the AMS (ABT) Stage II Chip, and Tip (hmmm, chip n tip)

You'd have to contact Union 76 to see if they can give you a list of dealers in your area that carry the racing gas - it is WORTH IT!<p>As for the trans problem, don't know if there is a fix.