A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Test drove '96 A42.8QM (Owners please comment)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-1998, 02:44 PM
Mark Collett

Default Test drove '96 A42.8QM (Owners please comment)

The other day I test drove a '96 A42.8QM with 47k miles. Please tell me if these things are normal...<p>1. I opened the hood and noticed the engine was making a quiet ticking sound. This is simply <br>the valvtrain working, right?<p>2. The throttle felt heavy, and had some weird play in it. I would press it a little (still get response) and then it felt like I would get the "real" throttle response. Like there was some<br>kind of slack or something.<p>3. The clutch engaged high. As in the last 1/4 of travel. This isn't normal, is it? I drove a new '98 previously and didn't notice this or the throttle thing. However, the brakes on this '96 were<br>excellent and I liked the handling. <p>Help?<p>Mark Collett
Old 11-29-1998, 03:21 PM
Steve S.

Default 97 2.8QM owner comment

Since the 96 and 97 2.8 are the same car...almost...I thought I would put my 2 cents worth in....like usual. :-)<p>1) Valve tappet noise, if that is what you are talking about, is normal for the first several minutes of operation in ANY Audi. Oil needs to get everywhere and it takes a little bit of time for it to do so. So, this one "should be" normal.<p>2) Throttle Heavy...you are experiencing the flat spot in the power curve on the 12V car. When the revs get up...it is fine...just low down..it has this nasty flat spot...where you say to yourself "Come on car...GO!". This can be 90% remedied by the throttle body modification that I have done....for $275-295 (and exchange of the core unit) you can get a two stage throttle body from TAP or Hoppen that has a larger primary butterfly valve. This essentially gets rid of that flat spot (or in conjunction with a K&N panel filter, it does) by giving the engine more air with less throttle movement. Check out the FAQ that Dan Masi wrote on the throttle body mod...I did the photos. :-)<p>3) High Clutch engagement - this is something I took a while to get use to....Yes, it is normal on all A4's I have driven. Sometimes I forget about it...and then surprise myself by noticing it again..."hey, whats up with this"...and then I remember again. The A4 clutch has no way to adjust it...that is how it was designed...whether you like it or not.<p>Hope I have helped.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM<br>(with "the works")
Old 11-29-1998, 05:55 PM
Mark Collett

Default Re: 97 2.8QM owner comment (also 12v internals)

Steve,<br> Thanks for your input. I'm leaning towards the 12v car simply for the economic <br>reason... plus knowing that it's not a bad compromise against the 30v. I drove one<br>and it's certainly better than the Infiniti I've got now.<br> Questions... <br>1. the valve "noise" - I shouldn't use such a strong word - was after some 15 minutes of driving. It seemed normal to me, but I was just checking. What's the valve adjustment interval for the A4? What type of valvetrain does it use...<br>shim/bucket or hydraulic lifters?<p>2. The throttle feeling was there even when I was just kicking the throttle with the tranny in neutral. It just felt heavy, like it wouldn't lend itself to easy heel-toe. BTW, is the car easy to heel-toe? Can you adjust the throttle cable?<p>3. Good to know the clutch action is normal. <p>Thanks!
Old 11-29-1998, 06:29 PM
Chris K.

Default Re: Test drove '96 A42.8QM (Owners please comment)

Mark,<br>I drive 96 2.8QM, and I noticed the ticking sound myself. I think it's normal valve noice, but of cource I could be wrong. On the other hand, I did put about 35k miles on mine, and I never had an engine problem.<p>Chris Krulak<br>96 2.8QM
Old 11-29-1998, 07:06 PM
nozomi

I have a 96 QM, built in June 96, and I bought it used 4 months ago from<br>an Audi dealer.<p>1) I don't know if this is the same noise as the one you described, but I hear a short, "Ta ta ta ta ta..." kind of noise for the first five or ten seconds when I start the car lately. <p>2) I think the heavy feel with the throttle is normal. Also if you're used to the gas pedal in your Infiniti, you might feel the big difference between the two cars. <p>3) I seem to have got used to the long clutch travel. <p>I have driven 8,000 miles in the last four months (my record!) and the car seems to perform even better. :-)<p>Nozomi <br>96 2.8QM 27,500 miles, maybe some mods later on <br>
Old 11-30-1998, 04:55 AM
tomt

Default So Steve, do you *really* feel the difference with the MTB?

I've been putting this off for two years now, and I think it's finally time to take the plunge - *if* you and others are sure it makes a noticable difference. <br>Also, do you recommend one company over the other?<p>TIA,<p>Tom<br>'97 2.8q
Old 11-30-1998, 05:07 AM
Steve S.

Default With the 12V...any gain is good

To answer your question...it is the most bang for the buck that I have gotten since I got the car. And if you know me...I have done alot of mods.<br>We all know that when the revs get up...the 96/97 2.8L engine is fine...it is just at low end that we felt at a disadvantage. This mod almost completely eliminates that flat spot. I got mine from TAP...Hoppen has the same thing only cheaper. Either should be fine.<p>Go for it. Again, all of this is subjective...but I don't know anybody that said after they did it, that they didn't think it was worth it.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM<br>
Old 11-30-1998, 07:55 AM
Cathleen

Default '96 A4 2.8qm with 61k+

I purchased the car new and I'm past 61k now. It's still as tight, responsive and solid as it was day one. I had a couple Hondas before so yes, you will notice some differences/idiosyncrasies from one make to another. Nothing you mention sounds unusual. I will tell you that from even one '96 A4 2.8qm to another of exact make and model, they are slightly different.<br>I drove my father's car yesterday, we have the same make/model/year exactly, except that mine is red and has lots of body mods and suspension mods and his black & is purely stock.<br>His clutch, the throttle response and overall feel of his car is slightly different. (Not taking the suspension into consideration, of course. I have 17" wheels and a custom Koni/Eibach suspension) His car seems to have much more "flat spot" than mine does and my clutch feels heavier. I personally like the heavy feel.....as this is how the Porsches and other performance-oriented cars I've driven feel.<br>I push my car very hard on a daily basis including doing track events about 4-5 times a year. One thing I know from older Audis is the harder you drive them the better they seem to perform.<br>They are solid and fantastic cars, I don't see myself going back to the Honda-type cars. <br>If you're not sure about this one, drive another one. You may find one that "feels" better to you.<br>Good Luck!<br>-Cathleen 96 A4 2.8qm w/mods.
Old 11-30-1998, 08:58 AM
Anzir Moopen

You know, I noticed the same ticking sound whenever I drive it hard, and it is also there when it is idling sometimes. I have always asked about the ticking but I have never gotten a straight answer from anyone about it. Everything else with my car is fantastic.. except for the 4 key marks and the bug-eaten hood (which are really noticeable on a Europa Blue Mica A4)
Old 11-30-1998, 06:35 PM
DL

Default Re: 97 2.8QM owner comment

Does the throttle body modification void any kind of extended warrenties? I am looking for a 96 A4 2.8QM w/ low miles and I noticed the "heavy throttle" during a few test drives and I'd like to fix it. Any other suggestions re: this mod?

Quick Reply: Test drove '96 A42.8QM (Owners please comment)