A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Thank You Quattro - Ford Expedition hydroplaned and flipped in front of me 1 hour ago...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank You Quattro - Ford Expedition hydroplaned and flipped in front of me 1 hour ago...

And my baby didn't even budge. Gave my statement to the cop after we got the guy out - attributed my good luck to the Quattro.

Yes - he was ok.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:04 PM

Hmm, don't be too confident, just because you have quattro doesn't mean you wont hydroplane...
Old 01-27-2002, 08:09 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yeah... definately dont take quattro as an excuse for driving any differently in bad weather..

i hit a patch of black ice covered by snow... and the rest is history
Old 01-27-2002, 08:17 PM

Allroad in the ditch on Mt. Baker Hwy. yesterday. Stupid is still stupid, even w/ quattro...
Old 01-27-2002, 08:21 PM

Default quattro isn't going to do anything to prevent hydroplaning

glad to hear you are ok though
Old 01-27-2002, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've found that quattro allows me to hydroplane more...

Quattro is a definite advantage, just gotta be aware of how it responds to different situations. I'm sure you were being more careful than the Expedition driver. They tend to suffer from 4WD Invincibility Syndrome.

In the rain I find that I can't tell when a wheel is lifting off because it does such a good job of apportioning power. That's ideal if you hit a puddle and the other side of the car is on dry pavement but if you're talking a severe downpour so that there's lots of standing water than quattro won't do anything once all four wheels ride up. And as I described it can delay your perception of hydroplaning until you're floating almost.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well I'll be gosh-darned - well at least I know now :-(
Old 01-28-2002, 12:09 AM
LMH

Default QUATTRO HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HYDROPLANING

Assuming there is at least .2 inch standing water, the formula for figuring out hydroplaning is 10.27*sqrt(tire pressure). Obviously different tires move water better than others but they all come close to this formula.
Old 01-28-2002, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default hey is Mt Baker open on weekdays??? hows the drive?...

planning to check it out.. i've never been boarding there yet... how far from the CAN-US border is the drive?

thx
Old 01-28-2002, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thank your tires, not your quattro.

I don't think quattro does much if anything to avert hydroplaning. If a sheet of water gets between your tires and the road, there's no more traction, period. Quattro might help a little by transferring torque away from a hydroplaned tire and thereby giving it a better chance of regaining grip, but just like on ice once one or more ties loses grip completely at speed you've got an emergency.

This is one of the reasons I replace my tires way before the wear bars show up at 2/32" tread depth and why I shop for tires with excellent wet performance and hydroplaning resistance. When there's standing water on the road, whatever you are driving, SLOW DOWN.

Quick Reply: Thank You Quattro - Ford Expedition hydroplaned and flipped in front of me 1 hour ago...