A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Thats it, ive had it with these rear deck speakers!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thats it, ive had it with these rear deck speakers!!

Well, today after trying to fix the rattles that are coming from my rear deck, ive decided to get some new speakers. (i have the Bose) The problem originated with the left rear, and i found the source of the probem to be the plastic "guard" that clips to the magnet to protect the wiring. I fixed that easly with some bits of foam that i placed in between the "guard" and the back magnet. That was about 2 months ago.. And this past week, the right rear started to ratlle in the same manor. So i went about fixing it in the same way that i fixed the left rear. *Done*--> did the same thing as before, and put everything back together--only to my disapointment, it was still rattling. I took everything apart again (removed the rear deck etc..) unbolted the speaker from the deck and held it in my hand while some music was playing. First clue--> the rattling was not caused because of it not being losely bolted to the deck. I removed the speaker from the mounting bracket and once agian held it in my hand while some music was playing. Second clue--> The rattling was coming from the speaker itself, not from anything else. So i guess i must of blown it (although i dont know how i did, i dont really blast my stereo) Upon inspection, i found no tear or anything else that would make it rattle. Sooo.. i guess that would be a good time to do some up-grading.. I was thinking of getting some Polk speakers.. Ahh well, im going to pop into my local car stereo place tomarro and see what i can do.. Has anyone else had this kind of a problem? Thanks for listening.. :-D

Keep it real,

-John-
Old 06-12-2001, 02:26 PM

Default each bose speaker has a dedicated amp or line, speakers wont 'drop in'

My 98 1.8T has had the rear subs replaced three times, the last set were the best. i also had the dealer put in a 2.8 amp instead of the 1.8T amp, the 2.8s have a bit more watts and more watts is always better than less when it comes to efficient speakers. I really think thatthe only way to run non bose speakers, is to start removing sections of the Bose system, or the entire thing. Interfacing to the Bose is straightforward, but usually sounds crappier than the bose did in the first place. A new head unit, new speakers and amplifier are what you need, same with me, but I deal with the Bose radio for now, just dont have time to install and the A4 interior is still so nice, even after 4 years, I hate to chop into it.
Old 06-12-2001, 02:52 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *oozing with sarcasm* Wow, I'm surprised. Audi must have spent at least $.35 on those speakers....

Try MB Quarts. I had 5.25" MB Quarts installed in the rear deck (4" separates in the front) and they sound great.
Old 06-12-2001, 03:04 PM

LOL !! but true...did you do the MBQ's with the Bose Concert???
Old 06-12-2001, 03:11 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. I opted for the cheaper option, since I knew I'd be revamping the whole system anyway
Old 06-12-2001, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Symphony Radio is the same, Blose or no Blose

You can recode it to say whatever you want when it starts up...

The only Bose stuff is the amp and speaker network in the car... with the Symphony you can pull out the Bose speakers and their attached amps and start with your own amp and speakers using the line level output of the stereo itself. Check the Audio forum for more info as this has come up a lot.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-12-2001, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dude, I had the same problem.

It's been the only disappointment to an otherwise FANTASTIC car. Picked up my new A4 2.8 in March. By mid-May (about 6K miles), somehow I blew the rear deck speaker. Took it to the dealer and they ordered new ones for me (luv that warranty) -- took about 3 wks ... while i suffered in the meantime.

Like you, I have NO CLUE how this happened. I'm completely bewildered. I play my music loud, but I'm not rocking the neighborhood, ya know.

2001 A4 2.8Q
Tip
Celeb Pkg
Sport Pkg
Bose Pkg
Xenon