A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Is there a difference between Zymol Polish and Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-1999, 09:43 AM
joekim

Default Is there a difference between Zymol Polish and Wax?

x
Old 03-22-1999, 09:47 AM
Paul S

Default Re: Is there a difference between Zymol Polish and Wax?

No, the polish is simply the wax in liquid form, I prefer the wax, you will<br>use less. That's the trick with Zymol. Since you can't let it dry, you shouldn't glob<br>it on. A little goes a long way, too much and you spend forever trying to buff it out.<p>Paul S
Old 03-22-1999, 11:25 AM
phred

Default Not sure what you mean ...

Unfortunately, there are several zymol product lines. Some are "real" (i.e., wax smells like a pina colada and costs over $30) and some are sold at KMart and Pep Boys (these are made by Turtle Wax and they license the zymol name). Go to carcareonline.com or the zymol home page and you will see the line of "real" products. In the strict sense, a "wax" and a "polish" are different products that are traditionally used together, but in common usage the terms have lost almost all meaning and blurred together. There is a semi-helpful article in Motor Trend about this, either the current or last month's issue.
Old 03-22-1999, 11:43 AM
EP

Default NO! The polish has abrasives (polish) and the wax does not.

The article in Maxim, granted is not the first place to look for car care info, DOES talk about this very issue in a side bar. It says not to use polish more than twice a year at most. you can wax away, though.
Old 03-23-1999, 07:24 AM
PaulS

Default EP is right, sort of...

Well, yes and no again. I assumed the polish he (JoeKim) bought was the variety they sell at Pep Bpys, etc., which is the same as the wax they sell, just in liquid form.<p>EP is right, in saying that the real stuff, made by Zymol, is in fact a stripper and weak scratch remover. It is supposed to be used twice a year as you say, to remove wax buildup, grime, etc., It's abrasive content is quite low, however.<p>I was perhaps wrong in making that assumption, but only JoeKim can shed some light<br>on the subject.