A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

thoughts on racing-style seats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thoughts on racing-style seats?

Hey everyone.. I'm looking to possibly get some racing-style seats for my '98 A4 2.8QM. This car is a daily driver, so I don't want anything too uncomfortable. I'm not worried about leather vs. cloth, I'll deal with that when I see the prices! Anyone have any thoughts on which brands/models are going to be comfortable for daily driving, and sturdy enough to be worth my while? I've got fairly broad shoulders, so any of them designed for 5'8" 140 lb people probably won't work out too well!

Also, if I get new seats, how can I trick the airbag system into still working without the side impact airbags?

Thanks

-J
Old 07-09-2003, 06:34 AM
Elder Member

first question you have to ask yourself is why you want to do this
Old 07-09-2003, 06:39 AM
Elder Member

Right - why make the car harder to use as a daily driver
Old 07-09-2003, 06:56 AM

Default drivers side airbag might be shot

I may have damaged the drivers side side-impact airbag a while back.. it says that the 'ignitor resistance is too high'. I'm going to pull the seat and see if can find any loose connectors, etc. I tried clearing the code with a VAG, but it came back as 'intermittant' a few days later. Ugh.

Not to mention that there are some really deep creases in the leather and a new seat would make that look a lot nicer.

If it turns out that the airbag is bad, it's going to cost me a fortune to fix.. I felt it would be a better decision to put in a few hundred more and get some really nice racing seats.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your a big guy id go with sparco, if smaller go recaro Use resistors to trick the bags
Old 07-09-2003, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sparco Milano's are wonderful...

Just stick with a adjustable seat...
The Milano is wonderful, with alcantera cloth for good grip, and adjustable with lumbar support...excellent shoulder support...and a very comfortable seat on long journeys...

You can trick the airbag system with a resistor, and clearning the codes with a VAG-tool...

Best of luck with your search, take your time to find one that suits you best...Recaros are wonderful also...
Old 07-09-2003, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Sparco Milano's are wonderful...

thanks for the input.. any idea how much I'd be looking at for a set?
Old 07-09-2003, 10:06 AM
Elder Member

Default well if you want to save a ton of cash, just dont fix it.

I've been running with the airbag light on for a while (no front seats). I'm not sure if the other airbags will still work though if the light is on
Old 07-09-2003, 10:30 AM

Default Milano is a great choice !

The Milano 2 is like $900 > and i remember Steve@MotoPersona said there is a very long waiting list since he just ordered a pair(Milano or Milano 2, i forgot). The price range of seats range across the line, do some search.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:45 AM

Default Re: well if you want to save a ton of cash, just dont fix it.

unfortunately, if the light is on, you don't have any functioning airbags in case of a collision. I'd hate to make a mistake on that one.. I think I'm going to pull the front seat, tear it down, and see if I can find a short or anything. If it all looks ok, and the code comes back after I clear it, I'm going to have to assume that the airbag ignitor is shot. Ugh, bad prospect.

Quick Reply: thoughts on racing-style seats?