A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Thoughts on redesigned A4...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2000, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on redesigned A4...

Face it guys, i'm now conviced personally that if you want to know what the new A4 will look like, just go to VWVortex.com and look at the new Passat. Think about it, the current A4 sprouted the current Passat, and since VW is flip-flopping the brand hierarchy (VW now the prestige brand) it only makes sense the new A4 will be based on the Passat. Also, you can just see the styling themes in the front end that we've seen in some of the conceptions..it doesn't take much to imagine the headlights slightly larger and a deeper Audi grille a la the A6 4.2. It also has a TT like slope to it. A post in the VW forum showed old pictures of the Passat redesign from Autobild mag which are about identical to the released shots. This mag also had pictures of the new A4 about a year ago, and it looks alot like some of the concept photos floating around, so it seems pretty credible. I doubt Audi will make a completely unique A4 - it's not cost effective.

I personally don't like the pull grip door handles, but all around the Passat may look better than the new A4. So I guess my next car will be either a '01 A4, an S4 (which should be around longer) or maybe an A6 or a new Passat.
Old 08-25-2000, 10:50 AM
ajp
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Thoughts on redesigned A4...

uh...i think it'd be more accurate to say that vw is increasing it's prestige, with cars like the W12, but...audi is not going to be "flip flopped" as you say to a less prestigous status, and vw is certainly not the "prestige" brand of the two
I do think it will be interesting to see what the new higher end models do to the lower end of the VW line...
alex
Old 08-25-2000, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts are similar, however I still think the new A4 is a redesign, the Passat is a "freshening
Old 08-25-2000, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default VW and Audi are not being flip-flopped

The stated intent of VWAG is to bring VW upmarket to compete directly with Mercedes, and take a more sporting tack with Audi going head to head with BMW. From an enthusiast's standpoint, that sounds good for Audi. Also, there is clear evidence that these efforts are being undertaken. The coming VR8 and W12 will make for very interesting VW's. On the Audi side of the house, we can see a commitment to a more performance oriented marque in the huge commitment to LeMans, expansion of the S line (with the S4 Avant and S8) in the US. Recent reports also indicate that engine sharing between VW and Audi is going away (personally, I'm a little disappointed about that), which means that if anything, there will be more differentiation. Finally, the redesigned Passat is just a freshening, of the exterior, not a new platform. It's still going to be built on the B5 (current Passat and A4 platform). In any event, your wait will be over soon. Audi will be unveiling the new A4 this fall.<p>Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 08-25-2000, 11:33 AM
SK
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yup, VW<>Mercedes, Audi<>BMW, but I'm not sure it's the right thing to do. (more)

In many ways, Mercedes and BMW compete directly against each other. Yes, there's a slight differentiation in focus/intent for their cars, but in many cases, it's the same customers deciding between the 740 and the S, 5 and E, etc. Why would Piech want to have VW and Audi like this?

Doesn't seem to work well for GM, with its brand managers at Chevy, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Buick trying to target the same cars at different markets but similar price points, and pumping out crap like the Aztec.

Why not leave VW to continue stealing share away from Ford Taurus, Honda Accord & Civic, Toyota Camry & Corollas, etc? Leave Audi to go after the upmarket, with both sporty and luxurious models (and invest in improved service/dealerships, with better policies). They also mustn't forget the dealer/service channel. Can you imagine going to your local shyster VW dealer, who gave you a crappy sales experience when buying your daughter's Beetle and won't give you loaners,etc, and want to drop 60 or 70 large on a W12 luxosedan? I don't think the guy who's interested in a car like that would even want to see a Golf in the same showroom. I don't get it.
Old 08-25-2000, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good points

BMW and Mercedes compete from the standpoint of being comparably priced and having some snob appeal (I still don't think BMW is a good choice if you're buying to impress others). All high priced cars will compete in this way, including Audi's top end cars and the envisioned VW luxury line. But the cars are very different, a quick drive in each will easily show the distinctions, the same will hold true for Audi and VW. This will matter to those who test drive, but not to those who walk in or call to make the purchase (and there are plenty of those).

Dealerships will be a critical factor, when it comes to high dollar luxury cars, people expect to be coddled. VW will have to do a lot of work on its dealer network. Also, the issue of having Golfs and Jettas next to W12 luxury cars, will need to be addressed. VW can't afford to dump these cars, they represent far too much cash flow. One possible solution could be sell the luxury cars through a special dealer network (maybe call them Wolfsburg VW's or something like that). Piech is taking an interesting approach, it's risky, but can definitely work. All I really care about is seeing them make Audi more performance oriented...heard a rumor that Quattro GmbH products will be coming here soon, hope it's true.<p>Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 08-25-2000, 01:10 PM

Default I seriously don't believe the new Audi A4 would look worse than the Passat, if the same still...

Audi's have a character that the VW Passat's don't have. Can't put my finger on it exactly, but their are so many small things and exterior styling bits that make the Audi look better than the Passat.

Personally, I think the Passat looks similiar to the A4, but don't think it looks like an A4. I get offended when people ask me if I have a Passat (because it's debadged), because I think the Passat looks like a "wanna-be" A4. Same goes for the new Volvo's (copycats).

I really think that Audi, though similiar to VW, will continue to keep Audi a step higher in style and quality. VW to me (I use to own a VW Jetta) is just an affordable luxury imatation. But not the real thing as Audi.

My 2--or 4 cents.
Old 08-25-2000, 01:25 PM

Default One last thing, does Audi have anything to do with Porsche?

How come I usually see Porsche/Audi dealers combined? Are the companies related?
Old 08-25-2000, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Yup, VW<>Mercedes, Audi<>BMW, but I'm not sure it's the right thing to do. (more)

Amen.
Old 08-25-2000, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default VW is now the prestige brand???

Says who? Having owned both a VW and Audi, I'd say the VW quality is definitely lesser than Audi quality. Just because VW plans to put larger engines in its cars, doesn't automatically place it in a "prestige" category.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on redesigned A4...