A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Ticking on startup 01 1.8t Q

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking on startup 01 1.8t Q

Ok I have read a bunch of threads about the ticking and they all but a few say the ticking happens when the engine is cold, and continues for close to a minute, and all those seemed to lead to the hydrolic lifters ticking till the oil pressure rises. I have a similar problem but it does NOT happen on first start of the day when engine is cold, but rather it happens when the engine is a normal operating temp and I start the car. Example first thing in morning the car starts with no noise, I'll drive to the store shut off the car and when I get back from store after a few minutes and start the car I get the ticking for about 1-3 seconds. If I shut the car off and imediately start the car back up it doesnt happen but if it sits for just a couple minutes it happens. I read one post that was like this and people reccomended checking the EVAP purge control valve selenoid attached to the air filter box. How loud is the EVAp solonoid? Can it sound like bad lifters? Or at least be a loud? I have alose just changed the oil to Mobile1 15-50 as suggested on most every thread regaurding this issue. Any ideas????
Old 07-19-2003, 07:30 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be the water pump
Old 07-19-2003, 07:34 AM

Default Re: could be the water pump

Woudn't the noise remain constant if it were the water pump?
Old 07-19-2003, 07:53 AM

It sounds like the lifters to me because when the oil presure increases the ticking sound goes away. Very common on engines that have high miles. How many miles on this car? Did you change the weight of your oil just recently? Volkswagons do this allot! All you have to do is isolate the problem with the hood is 0up and just listen for it when she starts cold. If the sound is coming from the valve cover and it's most likely the lifters. It's not really a problem unless you can't stand the noise when she warms up. I wouldn't worry about it to much if this is your problem. Replacing the lifters would require the removel of the head and that means some big bucks! Stickey / worn lifters equal some cool sounds from the good old valve cover. I hope this has been usefull to you.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:56 AM

Miles 26000, changed the oil to 15-50 mobile one trying to correct the problem. and doesnt make the noise during warmup, makes it if i start when already warm.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:20 AM

Default Anyone else have any ideas?

Car is still under warrenty and is heading for service on Tuesday, but it's driving me nuts not knowing what it is.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:35 AM
Rest In Peace

Default It's the lifters, and it's normal.

You should get it not at cold start, only when the engine is warm. If you let it idle for five minutes it will probably do it too in hot weather.

Change the oil religously every 5000 miles, use a good synthetic, and keep the oil at the TOP hask mark on the dipstick, and it will rarely make the noise.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:43 AM

Default Thanks Mark

Will Audi replace the lifters under warrenty? Its going in on Tuesday and still covered by warrenty. 26000 miles.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:10 AM

Default Agree 100% with Mark. Also...

You might want to try a product called BG MOA, which will help keep your hydraulic lifters clean and free from deposits. I run it with every oil change (synthetic/Mobil 1), and since using this product, I have yet to have any issues with engine tick (a problem I used to regularly have).

Hope this helps.

Randy
Old 07-19-2003, 11:39 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Like I said, it's normal, so Audi likely won't replace them under warranty.

Ticking is prevalent in hydraulic lifters with any auto marque.

Quick Reply: Ticking on startup 01 1.8t Q