A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Timing Belt Change - also cam sprocket seal and crank pulley seal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Timing Belt Change - also cam sprocket seal and crank pulley seal?

We have completed the tear down. The Blaufergnugen complete kit included the cam and crank sprocket seal. The instructions refer to special tools for sprocket removal, seals removal and seals installation. We did not order the special tools.

a) How difficult (and risky: messing up the marked positions) is the job?
b) Considering difficulty/risk and benefit (now its all apart): Would you change out the seals? Car has 140,000 mls, 2nd timing belt job, not sure if these 2 seals were ever changed.
c) Are there any detailed write-ups out there for DIY without special tools (or maybe with Autozone tools?)?

Your comments/help/suggestions, please!
Old 03-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

1.8t? Change the seals. You can do it without the special tools. Just be careful not to damage the shafts. Don't worry about the cam or crank turning a few degrees. You can always turn them back. 10 - 15 degrees won't hurt anything.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks, will do. Also found that Autozone may rent out some helpful tools.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vtraudt
Thanks, will do. Also found that Autozone may rent out some helpful tools.
Just wanted to share, make sure the tools you received from Blau* is in good shape. They shipped me the tool the removes the gaskets you speak of. When I received it had a huge dent in the threads. They kindly charged me for it when I shipped it back. Report all issues with the tools ASAP.

Just a rant sorry!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dm.A4.B5
Just wanted to share, make sure the tools you received from Blau* is in good shape. They shipped me the tool the removes the gaskets you speak of. When I received it had a huge dent in the threads. They kindly charged me for it when I shipped it back. Report all issues with the tools ASAP.

Just a rant sorry!
Here is how it did get buy without the cost of the tools (shipping back and forth is a bundle already):

Crankshaft pulley bolt: 19mm 12corner. I had a 3/4" 12corner in the toolbox. Not ideal, but worked. Except, it was a 3/8" drive. After impacting for a while, and then using a long breaker, I snapped it of. My impact didn't loosen it, so I borrowed an impact (and a 19mm 12corner 1/2inch)from my trusted local shop, figuring their professional tool will do it. It didn't, but the 1/2" socket held up to the torque from the long breaker. Screw off, pulley came off easy.

Other pulleys also came of easy enough.

Seals. My kit came with 3 identical seals. I finally decided to give it a shot. Used a small 2mm drill and drilled 2 holes in the seal, and screwed in a regular deck screw. Then used my grip pliers and alternately tapping the bottom and top screw/plier. All 3 seals came out easy.

The kit also came with O rings. After removing the intermediate pulley, we took also off the bearing mount bracket (2 bolts) and found the o ring under there.

All replaced, all done (hopefully, the timing is right, and the waterpump is tight).