A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Tiptronic vs BMW's Steptronic - Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-1999, 11:23 AM
Laurens van Alphen

Default Tiptronic vs BMW's Steptronic - Which is better?

Hi,

Just read the archives and stiptronic is
supposed to be more sports oriented. True?

Can someone come up with some first-hand
experience?

When chipping a 1.8T w/Tiptronic. What are
our best 0-100km/h times? What rice-boy cars
are still unbeatable?

I've driven a '92 BMW 325 coupé w/5-speed
automatic transmission. How does a chipped
1.8T w/Tiptronic compare performance wise?

Thanks,

Laurens
Old 12-20-1999, 11:24 AM
Laurens van Alphen

The BMW I drove didn't have Steptronic yet - of course (nt)
Old 12-20-1999, 11:37 AM
rr

Hey corn-boy, drop your bigotry. This is about cars, isn't it?
Old 12-20-1999, 11:45 AM
Laurens van Alphen

Don't understand a word you're saying. What's your point?
Old 12-20-1999, 12:09 PM
meerlin

Default Re: Tiptronic vs BMW's Steptronic - Which is better?

Having driven a number of examples of both, here is my view of the steptronic vs. tiptronic.

1. The steptronic shifts more quickly and firmly than the tip, paritcularly the A4 tip, which is slower shifting than the S4. This can be addressed with the addition of a Garrett tip chip.

2. The S4 tip is not quite "full manual" as are the A4 tip and steptronic, as the S4 does not allow manual 1-2 or 2-1 shifts. Those shifts are done automatically based on road speed, engine RPM and throttle opening. Garrett is looking into this, but it is not yet known whether this function is mechanically or electronically regulated. It's not clear whether Audi did this in the interest of fuel economy or trying to prevent engine destruction due to over-revving in first gear. One other interesting S4 observation: the EPA fuel estimates for the 6-speed and tip are identical. Very unusual; it speaks well for the efficiency of the tip.

3. The steptronic can only be shifted via the lever. It has no steering wheel shift controls--a big plus for the tiptronic in my opinion.

A chipped 1.8T tiptronic should be able to do 0-100KM in the low seven second range, and ought to be quicker than the 92 325 coupe. It's greater range of torque should make it the winner.

If you're really interested in whipping up on the rice-boys I have a 400HP 6-speed Firebird for sale that's more than up to the task.
Old 12-20-1999, 12:12 PM
merlin

I only wish I was smart enough to spell my own name right.
Old 12-20-1999, 01:47 PM
DRF

Default What do you mean "..which rice boy cars are still unbeatable?"

...like anyones car, it depends how much $$$ the person has in it. Speed is only a matter of cubic dollars. Just ask any of us who are old enough to
remember Vega's getting chopped up for dragsters.

The A4 is a heavy car compared to anything less than a Lincoln.

If you want fast...get an S4. If you want faster...get a Viper (or a Mustang Cobra, or Camero SS). If you want fastest...a Diablo VT comes to mind. Just about any decent sportbike will also beat them (and be louder too...so you won't even have to get a coffee can exhaust).

-Dave
Old 12-20-1999, 01:49 PM
Laurens van Alphen

I also noticed the '92 BMW automatic has a SPORT and WINTER switch, missing out with tiptronic?
Old 12-20-1999, 03:50 PM
lose their driving appeal...

Default Just gimmicks... Something BMW is doing too much of these days and starting to

Old 12-20-1999, 07:15 PM
Mike Kwok

Let me translate for you...stop stepping on Japanese cars like you are some time of auto god!! (nt)

Quick Reply: Tiptronic vs BMW's Steptronic - Which is better?