A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

tire rubbing issues....need advice..options??!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire rubbing issues....need advice..options??!!

I've already done a search, but it seems that I can't find anyone with my exact setup. Anyway, I've got 225/40/18 ET35 wrapped with SO3's, Neuspeed race springs, and Neuspeed Bilstiens set on the lowest perch in the back and 1 up in the front. I've got about a finger gap(I've got a skinny finger too) all around.

The problem is that I rub when turning at intersections if I am even just slightly fast. I don't go into turns hard because of that. I've even rubbed when making a U-turn in a parking garage and going over a very slight bump.

Although, the rubbing I get is minor and not heavy, it still bugs me!! I believe it's only hitting the liner so far, but not exactly sure.

So do I roll the fenders(where do I get this done in NoVA?) or raise the car? I love the way the car looks with the current drop!! Damn WICKED lookin' I think!!! I thought 225/40/18's would be trouble free!!!

Any advice is appreciated...TIA!
Old 08-09-2002, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default got any pics of those rims on your car?

I like those rims. I like OZ Polaris even more, but I can't seem to find them in the US.

I wonder if it's the tire that's your culprit - the S-03s are pretty wide (compared to other tires in the same exact size).

Anyways, no idea who can roll fenders for you in NOVA, but you should come out to one of our meets so that we can check your car out. Just don't drive with us - we're idiots :-)
Old 08-09-2002, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I haven't taken any updated pics yet because.....

I'm waiting for my (Philips Blue Vision) city lights to come in from PG Performance so that I can do my ecode install. It's really kicking my A$$ getting the ecodes installed. Can't figure out how to install the relays, even with Kris Hansen's diagram. I'm going to try and work on them this weekend if the bulbs come in today. Otherwise, more waiting.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Roll the fenders

It is the combination of your modified suspension and the offset of your wheels that are causing the rubbing. You need to be careful of the inner lip of your fender as it can/will shred your rubber very quickly. Hitting the liner is the first sign, but eventually the tire will catch the edge of the fender lip and bend it downward. Getting your fenders rolled will solve this problem. If you have it done professionally, they should also reform the liner to keep it our of harm's way. If you do it yourself (baseball bat or tool rental from tirerack), the liner may still rub - but is not that dangerous.

When I ran Eibach prokits, I had less than one finger gap and rolling the fenders solved my rubbing.

As far as shops that could do it, call some local tuners (AutoThority?) and ask them - they may know of a place.

Good luck.

Chris
Old 08-09-2002, 06:30 AM

Default NoVa shop - Autothority.....

I have no experience with this shop but heard they are reputible. I called them and they said that they do not roll fenders but they do cut. They quoted me 75/front and 75/rear. heres some info + link. Hope this helps

Address:
Autothority Performance Engineering is located at:
3769-B Pickett Rd.
Fairfax, Va. 22031.
Phone:
Showroom: 703.323.6000
Ordering: 703.323.0919
Fax: 703.323.7325.<ul><li><a href="http://www.autothority.com/">http://www.autothority.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 08-09-2002, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Just called Autothority and they said they don't roll, but they cut fenders!!

Uhhh, is that bad? She said that cutting is better than rolling because it can damage the car. Opinions anyone?
Old 08-09-2002, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

hehe..you beat me by like a second
Old 08-09-2002, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default dunno, but cutting sounds more drastic and violent to me :-)...

Also check with Curry's ( www.currysauto.com ) and Dr. Johns (not sure what their website is, but they're in Sterling).
Old 08-09-2002, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default try CDE motorsports in fairfax

the number is 703-560-9090...if they dont do it, they may know someone who will...currys automotive does it for like 90/side i think...btw you're the one that i saw at pro-imports last tuesday rite?
Old 08-09-2002, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yup...damn, about time...been looking for you!!

Forgot to exchange info with you 'cause I was excited and wanted to drive the car around. Anyway, now you know how to get a hold of me...cool

Quick Reply: tire rubbing issues....need advice..options??!!