A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Turbo questions!..

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2000, 07:29 PM
JakeAK

Default Turbo questions!..

I have a couple of questions, this is my first car that has a turbo. First, when do I need to let the car run to cool down? Everytime? How long? Idle or just key in? If my understanding is right this is to let the turbo spin down while oil is still available? Also, how much are turbo timers; are they difficult to install? Lastly, I remember about a year ago reading about a very interesting project. I guy had incorporated a turbo books gauge into his trip computer, anyone know what happened with this? It looked like it had a lot of potential! Thanks everyone for your help!

JakeAK

'97 1.8t qms

P.S. I will post some pictures of my new car this weekend, I just need some daylight ones.
Old 02-12-2000, 08:01 PM
britoki (brian T)

Default Your turbo answers

Yes the proper procedure is to let your turbo idle for about 2 minutes. The trick most people use is to crack the door open and the door will ding for about a minutes, then wait a tad longer and you've got 2.

However, I think that you'll find that most people only cool down on really spirited driving or long drives. The reasoning is that when you're driving around town slowing down for your stop, you are cooling it down somewhat.

Chipped cars are different, they get the cars glowing really quickly

Turbo timers - Some people have them, there some tricks involved because it needs to be tied to the stock alarm system, and that takes some work I guess

The trip computer boost gauge - touchy subject, I'll let someone that's more familiar with the status to discuss that.
Old 02-12-2000, 10:30 PM
JakeAK

Default Re: Your turbo answers

Hehehe, I have a funny story about the door dinging. I remember hearing (before I paid much attention becuase I did not have a car) someone mention waiting for a ding. I assumed it was like the turbo clicking to a stop. So today, remembering that, I cracked my door to listen for the click. Hehehe, the stupid door dinging made it impossible to hear so I gave up. Also, how much damage can be done by not doing this? I just bought a used 97 with 45000 miles on it, I am guessing that an enthusiast did not own it because their are no mods and the paint condition is not excellent. Thanks for your help, I hope someone can respond about the trip computer boost gauge, I thougt that was one of the coolest mods ever.!

JakeAK

'97 1.8t QMS
Old 02-13-2000, 12:05 AM
James R.

Default Re: Your turbo answers

Well with regards to your question about the boost gauge...this was a project undertaken by Curt Redl...who mysteriously disappeared under some strange circumstances with hundreds of your fellow audiworld readers money (I'm not among them). It goes w/o saying he's not the most popular guy around these parts.

If you're interested I'm seriously considering picking up one of the projects he was working on. I have given some thought to making a kit which exhanges your voltmeter for a boost gauge...the circuitry is fairly easy...the gauge face will be the hardest part for me to come up with.

Regards,

James R.

99 1.8TMS (Neuspeed K04, K&N Filter, S4 Wheel Well Liner Mod, Remus Exhaust, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Neuspeed Front Anti Sway, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Brembo Rotors, Mintex Red Box, Ronal R-7's 17" Bridgestone S02 PP, Smartire (neat gimmick), Euro Corners, Clear Sides, Full Tint)
Old 02-13-2000, 09:07 AM
JakeAK

Default Sorry about that...

Wow, sorry; I did not know. I would love to say I could pick up the project. But, I have absolutely no engineering/electrical/automotive experience. Just a quickie about the voltmeter, doesnt it go 6-16.. and boost goes 0-14.7? Hehe I thought it would be funny to use the same gauge.

JakeAK

'97 1.8t QMS
Old 02-14-2000, 04:47 PM
James R.

Default Re: Sorry about that...

No, we're going to have artwork done to replace that gauge face, you'll have to pull your cluster apart...just like you would if you bought aftermarket gauge faces. Difference is ours will look like a stock gauge...but will read from 0 Bar to 1.0 Bar then over run into 1.5 Bar...it's gonna be nice.

Regards,

James R.