A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

turbo timer and remote starter A4 B5 1999

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well im not talking about the turbotimer im talking about remote starts.

What do they do thats terrible for the engine. Joey just said he has to tell a bunch of people there engine needs repairs because of there 400$ alarms. What exactly do they do to kill our engines. I wanna know so i can get mine taken out if i need too.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default They introduce another possible failure point to the system, and the hacked in wiring...

...is less reliable than the factory wiring. If there is a no start condition, an Audi tech is not going to fool around with your aftermarket rat's nest. He'll either give the car back as is or restore the wiring to stock and fix the problem.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default So you don't think it's a good idea? Your post isn't clear...?

ROTFL.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Joey T

Default Typically, it is an install issue.

If you look at how they tagged into your cars factory harness, you will see where you will, in the future, have issues. Most the installs I have issues with use some kind of connector other than solder and shrinkwrap.

Now, not all aftermarket electronics will have issue. But, in my profession, I see it often enough that I would never install any kind of aftermarket alarm or remote starter on any of my cars.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:26 AM

Default So what do I do in my case. I've had 2 attempts on my car in the past 4 months and the factory alarm

hasn't done shyt. If you can stand there and pound on the car enough to do very costly damage, let alone give someone the opportunity to get into the car and possibly take it, then it doesn't really leave me with a choice. I'm definitly going aftermarket
Old 12-24-2007, 06:36 AM
Banned

If you think a security alarm will stop them, you're nuts.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:41 AM

Default Didnt say it would stop them. But it'll definitley deter them when it beeps when they get close or

bump into it and it goes off. Had my Jeep window broken and they took off bc of the alarm. Head unit and all were never touched.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:43 AM
Banned

Try it. Report back with results.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:13 PM

Default My 2 Cents.(Long)

Do it. Why?

Ok so you can choose to have nothing and for a Turbo Timer use you factory door chime. It keeps going for a minute which is more then enough in most cases. You can do just a turbo timer. The Greddy unit most use that allows for the car to run on its own and lock at the same time etc etc. You can use a remote start alarm combo.

This is where though things get complicated. It it only safe for me to assume your car is manual correct. Well if in a given scenario lets say clutch is bypassed, car is gear, and car is remote started bye bye car. So that is definitely a bad thing right? So you can't just use any remote start because most are designed for automatic cars. So you have to get a Manual safe one. Ones I feel most confident in are anything DEI(Viper,Clifford,Hornet, and Python all the same Clifford prolly best though) or something from Ultrastart. More then likely others on the market as well.

Now here things get complicated some more. So DEI and Ultrastart remote starters have built in turbo timers or at least their higher model ones. So I will start to explain the DEI system first. NO DEI REMOTE START IS MANUAL SAFE. But I just said otherwise and this is because of an addition to their accessory line the 689M. This in conjunction with one of their starters results in a Manual Safe Starter. With either the DEI or Ultrastart system their is a process you must go through before exiting the vehicle in order to remote start it later. The 689M adds the ability to go through the process and ensure that the car is not started in gear. I can go into further detail but we will save that for a later point in time. Now here is the somewhat kind of problem with the DEI system. In a automatic car if you want to run the turbo timer before exiting the car press two buttons and the car will stay on for a duration that you have set it for. The car can be locked at left to do its thing. The problem with the 689M is that it wants to see you go through the sequence to ensure safe remote starting. You remove the key from ignition and the car continues to run and then when you open then close the door the car shuts off. All is good but this interferes with the turbo timer. Cause the car doesn't continue to run for a set time w/o interruptions.If you want though after haven gotten out of the car you can press those same two buttons to keep the car running to restart the car for the set amount of time. So no problem So this is the downside to a DEI piece. This is the issue I am having with my Jetta. Probably is a solution to it to keep the car running while keeping everything safe but my friends(Professional Installers www.hifiautosport.com) and I have yet to have figured it out. The 689M DEI acquired by the purchasing of a Canadian company known as Astroflex. So our Canuck friends may have a solution or better yet the Brits for they have the same exact module badged as something else.

On to the Ultrastart piece. I can't speak for it. Plain and simple it has the sequence you must go through in order to allow a safe remote start and it has the Turbo timer. How the Turbo Timer works though IDK. The starter is self is marketed, advertised, and designed as Manual safe so there has to be some provision. Funny thing is at that shop I refer to where I apprentice/my friends work we have never had to do one of those Manual safe Ultrastarts and then worry about the Turbo Timer for that matter.So you can call and ask Ultrastar what is up with their shiz but idk nor have I cared to research cause I personally hate their two way remote. Way it looks actually. In the end it can be done but have a professional do it and you should have no issue. Some places offer life time warranties on the workmanship and all DEI and Ultrastart Brain Modules have life time warranties as well.

So thats my two cents