A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Ugh. So much for Preventative Maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ugh. So much for Preventative Maintenance.

Like a jerk, I had the good old 60K maintenance done on my 99 2.8 at the dealer. Timing belt, water pump, etc....... It cost a bundle.

2 months later....

Driving to the office, about 100 yards from the parking lot, the battery light comes on, lose power steering, A/C. I managed to park it, Look under the hood, and see "Fan Belt" laying in engine compartment, not broken. I had the car towed to the closest dealer. (I still have Audi Assured, so I'm not terribly worried)

The next day, I called around 11 a.m. and they said they didn't have the chance to look at the car yet, and not sure if they would be able to. Amazingly, they call back around 3 p.m. & said the car is repaired. The timing belt was snapped, and was replaced. I thought that was awfully fast to be done in 4 hours, but what do I know?

I rush to pick the car up, 2 minutes before closing, and get about 3 miles away from said dealer, and BLAMMO, the same thing happens again! Fan belt laying in engine compartment and everything. This happened on Friday night, so, I won't hear anything until Monday or so.

Couple of questions:

#1) I paid to have the timing belt replaced 2 months ago, is it right that I have to pay the deductible to have it replaced that soon?

#2) Is it feasable to replace a timing belt in 4 hours? Just seemed awfully quick to me.

#3) Is there anything else that causing this problem???

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-02-2002, 01:39 PM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default answers

Im assuming you have an extended warranty...
1)I wouldnt fret $50 deductible... small price to pay in the gran scheme of things, but i would mention it to the place doing the work now

2) You can do a timing belt in 4 hours

3) Sounds like the tensioner is giving...

4) I'd also mention/ask if damage to the engine has been done by the timing belt failure. I think it is possible to have the valves impacted if the timing belt goes.... you may be owed a new engine
Old 06-02-2002, 01:46 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Additional question: Was the tensioner replaced with the timing belt?

If not, it should be (check your receipts for a tensioner). I think Audi sells a kit with the tensioner included...if the tensioner is giving you a problem, I would inquire why they didn't replace it the first time around.

If subsequent repairs could have been avoided, had the shop done the job right the first time around, I would refuse to pay the deductible. You'll have to wait and see how things play out...it's too early to tell what's wrong, and why it's happening.
Old 06-02-2002, 04:37 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Are you sure it was the TIMING belt that came off? Usually, when that happens, the engine STOPS dead

there is none of the drama you describe.. You would be just dead right where you were, no chance to park it.. I think you have a pulley that's bad, or maybe one of the devices (AC compressor, alternator, power steering pump or maybe even the fan are out of alignment, which is causing the serpentine belt to fall off.

TO answer your other questions, it is possible to do a timing belt in 4 hours. However, it is not possible to replace 2 heads, and potentially pistons and connecting rods after catastrophic timing belt failure (which is what you get when one breaks while driving, the pistons smash into the valves, causing exTensive and exPensive damage to the internals.)
Old 06-02-2002, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No, I never said TIMING Belt fell off...

I said the "Fan Belt" (AKA Serpentine Belt) came off.

I had the timing belt replaced 2 months ago, as a result of the Audi 60k maintenance.

When the car broke down on Thursday, they told me that they replaced the TIMING Belt.

When the car died 3 miles away from the shop Friday Night(After getting the car repaired), I mentioned that the "Fan Belt" was what came loose again.

Sorry for the confusion.

thanks for the help
Old 06-02-2002, 05:18 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Oh, the shop said it was the timing belt? Again, it sounds like there is a bad pulley......

or something is out of alignment. It doesn't take much to spit a belt off...