A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Undecided about the suspension choices, Need Help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Undecided about the suspension choices, Need Help...

My rear shocks are bad. I have 97 2.8 Quattro a4, with non-sport suspension. I can't decide which way to go.
Either:
Get used springs and shocks from S4 , but I don't know if this will drop my car at all,
or get

used OEM sport suspension from 2.8 quattro, but it is hard to find anybody selling those beside dealer charging too much...

or get the koni adj. shocks and use my original springs, but I don't know how good my rear springs are since I have been driving like that for couple months with bad rear shocks, and don't know if my springs are fine..
I'm looking for your suggestions..

The last question is the difference between Non-sport and sport suspension. Is it only shocks that are different between those two... or both.

thanks
Old 09-20-2001, 08:26 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001.5 Sport Quattro OEM suspension I'll sell you for $200,t han just get springs..
Old 09-20-2001, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

sell me your rimssssssss
Old 09-20-2001, 08:29 AM
Ash

Default Differences from sport to non sport are:

Stiffer Dampers, stiffer and lower springs, bushings, and thicker front and rear anti-roll bars.

Ash

PS: I would pick up Alon's Koni shocks, they'll drop you 0.5 inches, and you can pick up some sport springs or whatever springs you want to add to that. Audi sells their Eibach accessory springs for about $500 Cdn.
Old 09-20-2001, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Differences...

At least for my 2001 A4, the difference between sport and non-sport was about an inch drop with the sport springs/shocks. So, if you were to get sport springs, you would lower the car slightly.

If I were you, I would invest in those Konis, or get some Bilsteins. The OEM sport struts really suck, though they are slightly better than the non-sport.

It's about $200 more for sport springs from most companies (like Neuspeed). I don't know what your budget is, but perhaps a whole new set would be preferable.

What are your constraints such that you're considering used or OEM parts?
Old 09-20-2001, 08:36 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Some thoughts ...

The OE sport suspension should drop you about 3/4" as I remember. Far as I know it encompasses springs, shocks and sway bars. It is a nice street setup; great handling setup. Only negative is it can be a bit stiff on bad roads. The S4 setup I think drops it another half inch or so from the Sport setup.

Springs and shocks should be matched; you go HD on shocks, should do likewise on springs. So,

What are your roads like? Glass smooth? Then might go aftermarket Koni with HD springs (might not advise using stock springs). Otherwise, the OEM Sport setup might be best adviseable. Keep looking for a used set is likely the best option; mine has 45K miles on it and still feels fine.
Old 09-20-2001, 08:43 AM
Elder Member

Default some information, what i have gathered.....

i am ready to get a new suspension, i have a 96 A4. I have talked to a lot of people and the overhwhelmin recomendation is to get coilovers. I decided i think im going to get the H&R coilovers. they are a great setup, i hear the are not too stiff, but so great at handling. also they are fully height ajustable. they are more expensive than getting seperate shocks and springs, but worth it, so i hear. i hope this helps.
Old 09-20-2001, 08:44 AM
Elder Member

He has 2.8
Old 09-20-2001, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No bushing difference from non-Sport to Sport, AFAIK.
Old 09-20-2001, 08:58 AM

Default SPP is selling Koni Coilovers for the 2.8 for $725 right now. That's about the price of new springs

and shocks unless you really look around for a good deal. This would probably affer a better ride and performance, as well as adjustability, compared to anything else you list. Install cost will be about the same whatever you choose.

Quick Reply: Undecided about the suspension choices, Need Help...