A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Understanding differences between Audi A4 clusters and the compatibility issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^Spammer^^^
Old 07-08-2011, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Latya
Welcome!
A4 cluster fit in audi80 B4?
Physically not, but wired , it possible might work but not everything will be working , different systems, but you never know if you don't try it
Old 07-08-2011, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Aleks
Hi!
I´m new to this forums, but i have a quick question!
I have a -97 A4, with cluster number 1, but without the LCD and with 4 gauges...
Is it possible to swap it for a -98 cluster with 6 gauges and LCD?
you will need complete rewiring, new plugs as they are different, you need to move wires around and possibly you might get it work partially, they are number who tried and failed or never completed, so it is hard for me to tell you that after all the work you will put it will work, you need to try it ..
Old 07-08-2011, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mtroxel
^^^Spammer^^^
Thanks for taking the time to get rid of that guy.!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audifirst
you will need complete rewiring, new plugs as they are different, you need to move wires around and possibly you might get it work partially, they are number who tried and failed or never completed, so it is hard for me to tell you that after all the work you will put it will work, you need to try it ..
As i thought then...
That idea´s going to the trash can then
Old 07-11-2011, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by audifirst
Physically not, but wired , it possible might work but not everything will be working , different systems, but you never know if you don't try it
Thank you! The oil pressure gauge do you think? If you move it from A4 and connecting it to work. Connectors are not the same?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[On cluster 2
You need to insert wires into red 20 pin connector on instrument cluster and to 4 pin harness plug on the wiper arm
Red connector Pin 11 to wiper arm pin 4
Red connector Pin 14 to wiper arm pin 2
Red connector Pin 18 to wiper arm pin 1
Pin 3 on the wiper arm is ground existing wire
I am working on this swap on a '99 Avant 1.8T. It came with the basic cluster, I have a '99 1.8T sedan full LCD cluster and figure it might as well do some good!

Pretty sure I know what I am doing, but I have a question. The wiper stalk does NOT have a 4-pin connector. It has a brown 6-pin connector with wire colors:

1: Green
2: Blue
3: Brown
4: Grey
5: Brown
6: Black w/ brown

I have traced these wires to their origin - Green, Blue, Grey go to the red 20-pin connector on the back of the cluster. Both brown wires hit major ground points. The black w/ brown wire goes to a connector at the relay panel by the driver's feet.

In looking at the wiring diagrams in the Bentley manual, it seems that the black w/ brown wire goes to the Transmission Control Module (J219). Why the happy hell does the TCM care about what the wiper stalk is doing? Or, is this maybe how the LCD display can show the current gear?

I just wanna have a clue on this before I start plugging things in.

I sincerely appreciate your posting this - having a place to start on this swap is fantastic!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

do you have photo of the new wiper stalk connector ?
the information I pulled from bentley.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, I saw that in Bentley and it's clearly wrong. Not sure whether that's Bentley's fault of VAG simplifying the diagram. I have a lot of cars and a lot of Bentley manuals for them, and by far and away the B5 A4 manual is the worst of the bunch. Frankly, it's virtually useless due to inaccuracies and generalizations.

Bentley does, however, indicate a black/brown wire from the connector goes to the TCM.

I'll snap a photo of the connector and a scan of the relevant page tonight. I'm in no hurry - still need to find a wiper stalk for an Avant.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by thesameguy
Frankly, it's virtually useless due to inaccuracies and generalizations.
"Useless" is too strong of a word. But I've had a bit of experience with the Bentley for the E36 BMW and the E38. They are both far more accurate than the B5 Audi.

Quick Reply: Understanding differences between Audi A4 clusters and the compatibility issues