A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Upgrades upgrades upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrades upgrades upgrades...

Hey all, I just joined up on the forum! I have an 00 1.8t quattro with some mods. I will post some pics soon for you all. I am currently looking into buying some good upgrades for my car.
I am looking at the k04-20 turbo with a high flow cat, front mount intercooler, stoptech big brake kit, performance flywheel and clutch, and new injectors. I don't have the brand name of all of the pieces i want at the moment.
I talked to some people at a local euro car shop and they said the APR stage III causes engines to wear at a very high rate (due to the compression ratio) and that with the k04-20 I will get about the same power without the huge risk of engine damage. Any of you have any advice or anything that you know please let me know. And Also anybody on here from central Ohio?
Old 03-22-2007, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your "euro car shop" doesn't know what thyey are talking about....... or..........

they are generalizing at least.

Yes the APR S3 *could* cause more wear.... of course. But not really any more than a beaten on K04'd car.

And it's not because of the compression ratio. They are obviously talking out of their bum to make themselves sound good, but do not have the experience or knowledge to back it up.

And a K04 !WILL NOT! produce the same power as a stage 3, no way, no no no no. From 1000-3000 rpm, yes, maybe even a hair more torque....... but NO WAY will it keep up even tuned very aggressively a K04 will not reach S3 levels. Also a K04 at aggressive tuning levels is working way past its limits and will not live long.

It *is* however a good cheap upgrade for all practical purposes.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Your "euro car shop" doesn't know what thyey are talking about....... or..........

i would imagine they were just generalizing with me because it was only a quick stop. Thanks for the input though, it is much appreciated. I am trying to get everything straightened out for this weekend cause I am looking into purchasing them soon. So with that said, all the feedback any of you can give me about anything would be very helpful. thanks.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Here's a thought: spend you money on driver events as opposed to all the mods

learn to drive the car 1st, then mod.

not the other way around, IMO

Start with brakes
exhaust
suspension
turbo
etc...

This way you will be more confident and have learned to drive.

my 0.02
Old 03-22-2007, 07:31 AM

I have those already....
Old 03-22-2007, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

well that and them recommending a K04-20 when the correct turbo for our application is the K04-15
Old 03-22-2007, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default KO4 is not the same as a GT28R

I have the APR Stage 3+(GT28RS turbo). The weak point is the engine rods, so I wouldn't go any bigger than 300 whp(350 crank)
Old 03-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Former Vendor

Email us. We may be able to asnwer q's for you and offer you the necessary items!
Old 03-22-2007, 09:16 AM

Default called APR little bit ago

I got off the phone with a guy from APR and talked with him some about the turbo kit, and from the sounds of it i might be directing my attention back to that.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is it sport package? Many will suggest (and I agree) that upgrading suspension is one of the first

things you would want to do. Out of the things you listed (and the suspension you didnt) i'd do suspension first if car is NON sport. If it is sport and you are happy with that then fine. injectors, K04-15, FMIC all would be good to do together (as well as purchasing the correct software for those mods ---> FMIC can use more aggressive tuning than stock SMIC) I personally have not upgraded my brakes as I do not see a need to do this unless you are going to track the car. Others will argue, but just because you can accelerate quicker does not mean you need to be able to stop quicker. As long as the actual speed reached is similar I dont see how it matters. Unless your clutch is slipping/toast I'm not sure its worth it to spend all that money and replace it now. My stock clutch held with APR chip for about 30K miles. (with some launches here and there and generally aggressive take-offs) Then again if clutch is worn the extra power from K04 could make it start to slip. And about the K04/APR stage III comparison... A well tuned K04 w/ FMIC, injectors, exhaust is good for up to/around 250 crank HP. Where as the stage 3 is more like 300-350 depending on specific turbo and tuning. As someone else mentioned the low end power is similar, K04 will spool up quicker though which means less lag. Yes the Stage III will kill K04 from probably 3200rpm on, for my purposes (street and maybe an autocross now and then) a quicker spooling, less top end power turbo is better suited for me. And especially for the cost comparison. K04 maybe 800 or so, injectors and software probably another 700 or so. Stage III 4,500. If you would like to go bigger than K04 but not to stage III then maybe consider an "eliminator kit" ATP is one company that sells these. Steer clear of the GT2X turbo as it is NOT cooled properly. Many have used the GTRS kit (1,600) and been happy. Factor in another 800 for their fueling/injector kit. Just some ideas to think about and hopefully this gives you more info/questions to talk to the tuning shop about. Consider the online stores too, as they will probably be less expensive..

Quick Reply: Upgrades upgrades upgrades...