A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

vibration from front end with wheel clocked slightly right - thrown weights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default vibration from front end with wheel clocked slightly right - thrown weights?

So I've had a vibration from the front end for the last few weeks, but she drives like a dream most of the time. The problem is only on certain types of pavement, there will be a harsh vibration/feedback from the front end. I took the car to the place I got my tires mounted/balanced at, and sure enough, all the weights are gone off my two front wheels.

The guy tells me "oh no, it's not that, the car would still drive fine and you wouldn't get any vibration, and I doubt you threw the weights, they're on there really good" - I pointed out the fact that you can SEE the missing weights and where the adhesive is that they're supposed to be attached to, and he said "oh, that's probably from your old weights" - I had cleaned the wheel myself and removed all the old crap before I brought the wheels/tires to be mounted.

Is the guy jerking my chain, or do I legitimately have a problem elsewhere with the suspension/steering? Like I said I only get it when I turn the wheel slightly to the right and it vibrates like nobody's business. The guy put me off saying I should have a mechanic road test it, but I can see that all the weights are gone and the wheel has got to be out of balance.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:58 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You've got another problem.

Missing wheels weights would give you vibrations at speed...increasing in intensity with your speed. If a turn is causing an issue, it's unrelated to a balancing issue imho.

My guess is a bad wheel bearing. I'd just put the front end on jackstands and tug at the wheel and look for any play in the front suspension. If you found something, track it down.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: vibration from front end with wheel clocked slightly right - thrown weights?

Did you ever find out what was causing this? I'm having a similar issue with my car.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mine was my outer TRE on passenger side.

Replaced under mechanic's warranty. Jack the car up and start pulling/moving the wheel - if it's loose, start looking around for where the problem is.