A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

want to lower car

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to lower car

what type of springs should i use to lower car and still retain stock ride, and how low can i go while doing this in a 2.8 Quat...i am putting 19"s w/40 profile tire..
Old 01-10-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: want to lower car

i have a 99 A4
Old 01-10-2005, 05:11 PM

any suggestions?
Old 01-10-2005, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default skip on 19" wheels unless bbs LM and you are a baller

if you are a baller, you must rock the BBS LM's or some FIKSE or perhaps HRE's. But please no chrome... its not tasteful on a b5, yes I'm the wheel **** patrol, cope.

But I suspect that you arent a baller, in which case 19" wheels will simply be a waste of your money... try 18" on for size, they work well and dont end up as oblong eggs quite as quickly.

As for suspension you could begin searching, nearly everybody buys suspension upgrades and there are lots of good things to be buying, b5 suspension requires that you replace springs and shocks for lowering at the same time... its not a fun job and it isnt something to do twice.

oh crap I forgot to tell you what to buy... I bought shares in the search function... give it a whirl or even a swirl.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: skip on 19" wheels unless bbs LM and you are a baller

well i am looking at the Foose speedsters(8.5 front,9.5 rear) and yes are chrome but tasteful and yes they cost 2800 price quote to be exact..and beside's that i dunno what wheel i want b/c my rim shop here acts like all I can really get is the high dollar stuff like HRE's but i dont want to pay 4-5 thousand for some wheels.. I had 18 s on my civc so i wanted to go up...
Old 01-10-2005, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default so you just like flashy stuff

buy a mirror, they are highly reflective and cheap too!

Do you want to drive it or pretend like you have a show car?

You really need to make a decision about direction here, the b5 is a very capable chassis when equipped with quattro.

Decide if you want a flashy toy that will get hurt over a speed bump at idle in 1st gear, or if you want a drivers car for some track (not drag racing) use and as a daily driver and even some auto cross type use.

I dont find any appeal in having a show car other than the shiny paint. Chrome is a major turn off since I hate police and dont like attention from the wrong people... crome imo is a good way to draw attention to yourself or your car... when you arent with it. Did I mention that b5's are easy to steal?

Figure out what you are going to do with the car. Maybe buy some chrome wheels for show use... but buy something else for daily driving use or track use.

Foose wheels on a german car.... blasphemy imo.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:49 PM

Default dAAAAA!!! dont blow a head gasket geeze

Thats just what i like those wheels are nice and suttle to be chrome....I've already had the track car I had a 95 civic w/ b16 motor.oops SI motor full suspension (tien) and 18's & a spare set of 16's for track use and that got stolen so where i am people dont steal German cars only hondas....so bascially what i.m sayin is this car will only be a daily driver ,m but it will have potoential b/c i am going to put a supercharger on it later ..waaaay later down the road
Old 01-10-2005, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you need to get your facts straight slappy, what planet do you live on where they dont steal audis ?

they steal the audis like there wont be a tomorrow to strip em and chop em.

Dunno where you live but round here.... they've tried my car twice and my father's A4 once, his friend's A6 once and holy hell I've heard of cars being stolen off of dealer lots!

You obviously dont take me seriously enough.

"suttle" isnt a word... you sound ignorant... it is spelled subtle (m-w.com).

They tired WYSIWYG's car like 13 times before he just let them have it....

Power is nothing without control... plain and simple. Configure the car with nice big brakes, sway bars, proper coilovers or springs/shocks and braces and you will have a well mannered well controlled sport sedan.

19" wheels are not for daily driving use where I"m from... 18" is a good summer size... 17" or smaller is for winter use imo... and 17" is the ideal track wheel size imo.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Re: you need to get your facts straight slappy, what planet do you live on where they dont steal aud

like i said where i live they steal HONDAS what part of that dont U understand..where I LIVE....got it ....with that said it sucks they try to steal your car but in NC they luv there hondas and since im in the south people joy ride w/ 20's on GS lex's out here for fun thats what we so go as big as we can its normal around here..so stop judging want im saying based on where you live b/c i dont live there diff stuff for diff geographical areas homie, so u stop sounding like a no-it-all cause u dont know nothing bout where im from..besides people dont even drive Audis around here, there a dime a dozen,but thanks for the info
Old 01-10-2005, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

9.5's aren't going to fit on the rear without sticking out the fender

Quick Reply: want to lower car