A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Warning Gasket - Lost oil at oil cooler gasket ..... rubber gasket once upon a time

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning Gasket - Lost oil at oil cooler gasket ..... rubber gasket once upon a time

Where should I begin.... maybe good to know. A4 1.8T 1997 120k miles.
Maybe that gasket worth replacing in advance to avoid my trouble, especially in bit older cars.
Thursday, while driving the highway, the oil warning light appeared... No place to exit, so slowly I got home. As last month I checked the oil pressure to ensure no sludge, last week I checked the oil level and were OK; so I just checked again the oil level => no oil at all left. Filled about 3 quarts of oil, started the car and checked for leaks, and diagnostic was fast and easy. Oil was flooding from the joint between oil cooler and body where oil pressure sensor is. Over there it is a rubber gasket, that, when I removed it was cracked and hardened as if was plastic. It cracked and it spilled all the oil......

So, it seems this gasket between oil cooler and upper oil filer bracket components is good to have changed, since it gets old, cracks and floods the oil in matter of hours. For few miles, I run the car with no oil. I was worried turbo will say bye bye and engine will demand a new one. Anyhow, good to be aware of this issue

BTW, here's a how to change that gasket.
Remove the front left wheel to gain straight access to the oil filter.
Set aside the coolant expansion tank and remove the water tank for windshield (the closer to engine one). 2 bolts to remove, push the hose out. This is for better access to oil cooler.

Drain the oil. Remove the oil filter.
With a 27mm Long neck (a short one is not good as the thread is long) socket; remove the nut that holds the oil cooler to the assembly (once the filter is off, that nut will be visible).

It is not needed to remove the coolant hoses running the oil cooler. Just slide off the oil cooler of the center rod once the nut is out.
Remove the old gasket (or whatever is left out of it).
Place a new one (8$ at Audi dealerships).
Reinstall everything.

That should keep your car with one point of failure less

BTW, are there any other gaskets that I should be aware?
Old 02-04-2007, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I had the same failure luckily it happened when I was checking other things under the hood

I could only imagine what can happen if you were in the middle of nowhere on a road trip.

-rich