A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Well, looks like I'm a junior B5 member now.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Well, looks like I'm a junior B5 member now.

Needed a new city beater and hauler, so just picked up a B5 Passat Variant, Elegant Green. 93k miles, 5 speed.

The good: original owner (California car), thick file of service records, original documentation and manuals. He serviced it well. Also, had the turbo replaced at 70k and the top end rebuilt (yes, timing belt) at 80k. So I shouldn't have to worry about the turbo lady visiting, sludge (since the head was apart and rebuilt), timing belt or water pump. Yay! Also the A/C was just recently serviced and charged, and the left front axle recently replaced. 1/2 tread left, 2 year old battery.

The bad: little fender bender on the front corner. I think I can push out most of the dent once I pull the fender liner, but the front bumper can use a respray. Missing lower grilles and belly pan. I guess he had the sunroof quirks, so he disconnected at the switch. I guess the consensus is a new switch and not the motor, right? Maybe clean and grease the rails? The interior is kind of beat and worn. A good steam clean (cloth) might get rid of a lot of the stains/spots, or otherwise I'll look for clean replacement panels. I think I'll need a new shift boot and misc. trim pieces. Maybe a centre console and a door panel or two.

The clutch lets up WAY high, even compared to other B5's and C5's that I've driven. No obvious slipping, though so I hope that expense might coming up.

All in all, I think I got a decent deal and the up to date mechanicals are more important than cosmetics, right? Definitely wasn't my first colour choice and I don't get how he could have beat up the interior so much. Just need to keep my eyes out for parts cars.

Synth starting next oil change. Gotta do gear oil, brake and steering fluid changes.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice. I also have B5.5 Variant

One thing that I hate about the VWs though is that peeling interior coating crap they used on all of the door handles and trim pieces.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exactly. The driver's handle is thrashed. Same problem on the B6 and C5 after 2002.

They went to a soft touch rubberized coating and it all peels off.

It looks like complete B5 interiors (door panels and seats) for the Passat go for $300-$500. I'll try a couple of steam clean treatments first and take it from there. I factored in some replacement costs in my calcs. Given the mechanical work done to it, I think I'll still come out ahead.

That high friction point on the clutch is crazy though. I guess a lot of you guys have put in clutch stops? My C5 is nothing like this.