A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Wet braking problem -- car pulls to the right, anyone else experience this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2000, 01:55 PM
GT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet braking problem -- car pulls to the right, anyone else experience this?

I was going about 70mph on the highway during a pretty steady downpour... traffic ahead started slowing down so I hit the brakes mildly hard, and not only did I experience about a 1-2 second delay before the brakes actually kicked in, I noticed also that once the brakes did kick in, my car pulled quite noticably to the right. This had happened before, but I thought maybe I just so happen to hit a puddle while I was braking... but I'm fairly certain that that was not the cause of my experience this morning. Anyone else experience this before? Any ideas what might be wrong? Would replacing the brake pads lessen/eliminate this problem?
Old 03-28-2000, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default It's because the right brake was grabbing better than the left...

New pads (or rotors) will not fix the problem; I've done both. The only thing that will fix it is installing an inner shield behind the front rotors. There's not one available, that I know of.

CraigB
Old 03-28-2000, 02:10 PM
Elder Member

Default Criag - havn't some people have better luck with new pads/rotors

I could be wrong - but I thought I remember reading that some people have had the problem go away. It seems to be a car to car variation and there is not assurance that new equipment will fix it.
Old 03-28-2000, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

YMMV, but I've been pretty happy with ATE/Mintex in the rain.
Old 03-28-2000, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I thought my x-drilled rotors took care of the problem...

The first couple of times in the wet, it was gone. But, it showed up again. At least now they grab fine after the water is "squee-geed" off through the holes. You just have to be aware of it. I'm satisfied with my setup now, since we don't get much moisture in CO anyway. 8^)

As Dave said, YMMV. I guess it depends on the particular car.

CraigB
Old 03-28-2000, 03:19 PM
CP

Default I've got ATE/Mintex...brakes still suck in the wet...you've got to pretent you're a real race car...

driver and drag the brake when planning to stop. Mine take about 4 seconds to dry and begin to grab. After which they exhibit dry braking capabilities. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to fabricate (through extensive use of Home Depot) some sort of backing shield to prevent alot of water from reaching the rotor.
Cy
Old 03-28-2000, 03:46 PM

Default Yeah, it's real scary!

When I first encountered the "wet braking problem," it happened only on one side like yours. I had to stop quickly in traffic and almost went sideways. Not a good feeling in a new car.

Like CP suggests below, drag your brakes before stopping, and check them once in a while when you don't need them. My problem seems to be intermittant and hasn't occurred recently, though I still don't trust them.

Regarding the shields, it sounds logical that they would help. However, my motorcycle's disc brakes are just hanging out in the rain, bare and open to the world, and I've never experienced this problem on the bike. (Yes, I ride in the rain.) Hmmm...
Old 03-28-2000, 07:42 PM

Default Re: I've got ATE/Mintex...brakes still suck in the wet...you've got to pretent you're a real race ca

I have posted on Mar22. File a complaint on NHTSA site. You will see about 20 complaints. Dealer and Audi say problem doesnt exist. I got run around from both. They say to put on rotor shields at $150. but wont say if they work. Also, since Audi says the problem doesnt exist, will not pay to have shields installed. From what I have read, changing pads or rotors wont work. I am going to drop off car next rain and let service dept say there is something wrong at fix it at audis expense! Or wait till NHTSA takes action, or wait until an accident occurs. Am not very happy with audis handling of this matter. I would put the shields on, but they do not say if it will work or not.