A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What is acceptable wind noise? I hear it from tops of doors/windows at 75mph. Poll.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-1999, 05:58 PM
Stu S.

Default What is acceptable wind noise? I hear it from tops of doors/windows at 75mph. Poll.

nt
Old 11-18-1999, 07:52 PM
Ray Calvo

Don't waste space with polls; ask for E-mail direct to you
Old 11-19-1999, 06:17 AM
Kyle Bailey

Default This is a fairly common problem, and can be fixed...

I've had my A4 for 3 years now, and when it was new I had a problem with excessive wind noise, particularly in a crosswind. Back then, there were so few people on this forum that it was hard to figure out if it was a design flaw affecting all A4s or just a misadjustment. I finally mentioned it to my dealer at 15K service and they realigned the window frame - problem gone.

Unfortunately, about the time my warranty ran out, I noticed that the problem seemed to be returning, but to a lesser degree. But I figured I might as well get it taken care of. Taht time they really screwed it up. I had to slam the door to shut it. When I took it back to the dealer to complain, they went so far as to suggest that I put the window down to close the door. Anyway, after about 4 hours of failed attempt to get it adjusted properly, I told them to forget it - I'd do it myself.

One thing I did learn from the dealer is how to locate the source of the problem. Place a dollar bill over the window frame and close the door. The bill should be snug, but you should be able to remove it without tearing it. Do this in several places, and compare your noisy door to another door. Doing this, you should be able to isolate the problem. Then have your dealer adjust the window frame. If you want to do this yourself, e-mail me and I'll tell you what I did.

Do not let your dealer try to solve the problem by adjusting the striker plate. This will just make the door harder to close, and the trailing edge of the front door won't line up with the leading edge of the rear door.

Kyle
'97 2.8 sans wind noise