A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What is the best short shifter for the A4? Looked around and can't make up my mind. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best short shifter for the A4? Looked around and can't make up my mind. Please help
Old 10-02-2002, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default B&M or stratmosphere... neuspeed if you want shorter height, UUC if you want to waste your money

like i did. throws are not very short at all.

i would get stratmosphere if i did it over again. they were not around when i purchased.

anyone wanna buy a UUC? lol
Old 10-02-2002, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ouch. And i second the vote for Strat- love mine.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:29 AM
Rest In Peace

Well put. I love my Neuspeed, but after checking out a Strat, I'm thinking of switching.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:47 AM
Elder Member

Default I tried the Strat....I bought another UUC (long)

Throws were nice on the Strat, however they were so short that shifting the lower gears became a chore despite numerous adjustments. My only explanation? It simply comes down to leverage. Shorten a lever too much and more force is required to move it. With my old UUC a 1-2 gear change was a single fluid SNICK motion. With the Strat, a 1-2 gear change was nearly two motions; pulling out of first, NOTCH feeling in the middle, then another motion into second. Like I had to force it into second gear or something. (Don't misunderstand, I don't mean like brute force required, but it was definitely much less fluid than with the UUC.) 2-3 shifts were nearly the same way. Despite shorter throws it took more time and effort to shift the Strat. UUC was faster and smoother. Several others confirmed this when I asked about it, so I knew it wasn't just my car. Interestingly enough I installed a Strat on my friend's FWD A4 (chip, exhaust only) and it felt less notchy than mine. Still more than the UUC.

Stratmosphere did right by me and gave me an authorization to return it. Many love it however it just wasn't for me, which really sucks because (A) the install is a ****ing bitch, and (B) I'd already agreed to sell my old UUC to Bone. I'm good to my word, Bone's UUC is shipping out today.

I installed a new UUC two weeks ago and noticed something new. Apparently UUC changed the spec on the ball size, because with NO zip tie around the collar it is tight as a drum. <b>Absolutely NO up/down movement in neutral.</b> Even the Strat with the zip tie wasn't as snug.

While I'd like to have the Strat's short throws and height, it never just felt right. Slower, notchier shifts aren't worth it to me.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Any reason in particular?
Old 10-02-2002, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yeah, I don't understand why people bash the UUC shifter...

Other than the the squeeky noise, it's been good to me for the last 2 years (not much slop)... plus, it seems a little cheaper than the other shift kits...
Old 10-02-2002, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It looks like the Strat shifter isn't available for the push-down reverse (97-99.5).
Old 10-02-2002, 08:21 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Cause it sucks.

Have you tried out any other ones?
Old 10-02-2002, 08:24 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I'm starting to feel the same way about the Tanoga in my S (50% throw reduction).

It is a nice piece, and I'm still fiddling with alignment (alignment is more touchy on the S vs. the A4), however the throw reduction requires more "purposeful" shifts, as you mention. It's no longer a fluid motion. Perhaps I need to get used to it, however I think you're right...that's the price you pay, when you shorten it too much.

One interesting aside. The snap right around the top of the ball joint in the S4 is designed a little better. It flares down on the inside to push against the outside of the ball joint, effectively doing the same thing the zip tie mod did. I just realized this yesterday, and I no longer have my A4 to see if that snap ring would fit in the A4. If it does, it might be a worthwhile investment for most folks with a short shifter.

Quick Reply: What is the best short shifter for the A4? Looked around and can't make up my mind. Please help