A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What do you guys know about Land Rovers (Range Rover & Disc)...pops is intrested (I say ML500)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you guys know about Land Rovers (Range Rover & Disc)...pops is intrested (I say ML500)
Old 09-04-2001, 06:48 AM
Elder Member

Default Hate them....drove 2 discoveries, they are too top-heavy, too much body roll.

Much rather have the Benz or the X5.
Old 09-04-2001, 06:55 AM

Default If he does a lot of serious offroading, they can't be beat...

'cept by a Hummer, anyway. But I'ver heard they aren't much fun on the street.
Old 09-04-2001, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default best performing and handling and most car-like SUV I've driven is...

the BMW X5.

Sorry Allroad fans. As much as I am an Audi fan, I have to admit, BMW did a fine job with the X5. Great steering, road feel, and shifter. Even if you opt for the 4.4L V8 slushbox, a lovely engine note is consolation enough for not getting to row your own gears. Make mine an X5 3.0 with a 5-speed manual please

oh and I agree with Huestis, range rovers are too brawny and bloated for their own good. I'd even take an MB M-series ("M" for minivan hehe) over those anyday.
Old 09-04-2001, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traditionally, LR have had horrible, horrible reliability....

that may be different now....but they have changed hands so much over the past 6 years, that I doubt any attempts to remedy this have been fully implemented.

The Benz MLs had horrible reliability problems as well for the first couple of years (american built) but they are supposed to be finally up to MB standards. BUT, my dad has one and says the AWD system is completely ineffective compared to Quattro or any other set up.
Old 09-04-2001, 07:49 AM

Default I must disagree. I don't know if you drove the Series I or II. I have a 2000 discovery...

It is very nice. The body roll is not an issue at all. I have driven several SUV's, and the discovery drives very well. There is even a option on them that minimizes body roll further. I don't have the "ACE package" as it is called, but it is available. People told me that it is top heavy before I drove one... It is not. It is a very heavy vehicle with the weight concentrated low to the ground. I have driven it off-road on some very steep inclines. Gas mileage is poor, but it is designed for low-end power. Big fuel hungry V-8. I have had no mech problems for 16,000 miles. If you do have a problem out of warranty (4 years/50K miles) IT WILL BE EXPENSIVE. There are very few shops that work on LR's. Parts are expensive and the labor is not cheap. Any other questions you can e-mail me.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:03 AM

Default Well... If he wants it for driving around town I say...

either the Range Rover or one of the ML series. If he actually wants to go off-road go with something that actually has 2 solid axels: the Disco.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If I was looking for a sport ute, I wouldn't even consider anything but a LR. IMO...

they're one of the few pure SUVs left in a market that has been severely watered down. The LR Discovery is an absolute animal off-road, and it would probably be my second choice if I was in the market for an SUV (First choice would be another LR Defender. I owned one for awhile, and I LOVED it.).

Sure, reliability is always a concern. But there's SOOOOOO much more to it than that. There's personality, capability, and the fun-factor. I definitely don't see any of those three in the M-class, and while the BMW is a great ride, I think it's lacking personality. And it can't touch a LR in the off-road capability department.

I have always thought that Land Rovers are the ultimate SUVs. All the rest are just station wagons with big tires. But that's just me.
Old 09-04-2001, 01:11 PM

Default I am in total agreement...

Im driving my Jeep CJ5 right now while the Audi is in the shop. I would love a Defender. The CJ5/7, Defender, and Toyota FJ40 are true Off-Road gods.
Old 09-04-2001, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Bro...what happened to your car?!?!?! Can she be saved?

Quick Reply: What do you guys know about Land Rovers (Range Rover & Disc)...pops is intrested (I say ML500)