A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What's so great about carbon fiber interior trim?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-1998, 08:00 PM
Scott D.

Default What's so great about carbon fiber interior trim?

Please forgive my naivete, but why is a carbon fiber trim, as found in the bi-turbo S4, so desirable? I thought the trim was just for decoration, and I find the open pore walnut wood grain looks great.<p>Can someone enlighten me? <p>Thanks, Scott<p>P.S. Where can I see what the carbon fiber looks like, IN PERSON?
Old 12-30-1998, 08:10 PM
AndrewT

Default It looks sportier than wood.

d
Old 12-30-1998, 08:17 PM
Cool Craig

There will be no sporting of any wood here!!
Old 12-30-1998, 08:25 PM
Ron

By Joe he's right &quot;The sporting of wood is a serious forum infraction&quot;
Old 12-31-1998, 05:16 AM
Dean Benz

It is the only type available on the 1.8T and thus very cool! :-)
Old 12-31-1998, 05:35 AM
Glenn R

But, 5 minutes in an A4 and...
Old 12-31-1998, 05:49 AM
tHe uNaButtHeAd

Nothing is sportier than my morning wood!
Old 12-31-1998, 06:49 AM
Christian J. Long

Default carbon fiber interior trim........

The carbon fiber trim is really good looking, I am currently looking to replace my 1.8t's aluminum trim with the carbon. I have a grey dash, and the carbon looks much better with grey than wood does.<p>As for wanting to see how it looks, you can find it on the first year of the old S4 (1992), and if you see a MB SLK, it has carbon fiber dash inlays. So does the M roadster I think. It's a german thing, i don't know of any american or jap. cars that have it.<p>Better yet, there are pics of the S4 biturbo's interior that will give you an idea.<p>Side note: these cars mostly have "simulated" carbon fiber inlays, which is fine, you really don't need real carbon fiber there, just something that looks as cool.<p>Christian J. Long
Old 12-31-1998, 06:58 AM
Miles

Default Re:I thought the 1.8T HAD carbon fiber trim...

Doesn't the 1.8T already have carbon fiber trim inside? I thought that's what the gray material that goes along the dash and doors was. At least, that's what my saleman told me it was when I picked up the car. <br>I know it doesn't look like what you typically see as carbon fiber (which often has a darker, mottled appearance), but it sure doesn't look like aluminum to me either. Does anyone know for sure what it is?<p>Miles
Old 12-31-1998, 07:00 AM
Miles

Default Never mind... the AudiUSA website says it IS aluminum trim......

<br>nt

Quick Reply: What's so great about carbon fiber interior trim?