A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Wheels sizing and winter tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 05:47 AM
imr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels sizing and winter tire choices

Just purchased a "new" '01 2.8 with the sport package. Now, living in a northerly climate (Toronto area) I'm going to need some snows. I've gone through the forums and read about people going with hakkas, pirellis, goodyears etc but not seen the "definitive" thread on people's thoughts. Hopefully this can become that thread (with your help). I'll even make an FAQ with the results.

So, here goes. Steel wheels or alloys? I've never run steel, but some maintain that they seal better, are cheap and weather better than their more expensive cousins. Counterpoint - alloys look better and are stiffer which could help handling. Winter tyres are typically "squishier" though which probably overshadows the difference?

We probably all agree that thin is in for snows - however 15" 185 hoops look somewhat dinky IMHO. Would you agree that 16" 205's are a good compromise? Is there a stock 16" rim that will clear the larger calipers of our S4 bretherin?

Any line on getting used stock rims? (I like the original 5 spoke ones as they seem easy to clean and don't protrude so they are somewhat protected.) On the sizing side, correct me if I'm wrong, but all A4/A6 use the same offset and bolt pattern?

Now, moving on to the tires - I've traditionally used the Pirelli 210A's which have been quiet and given good grip on snow and dry. My interest has bene piqued by the Goodyears and Hakka's. Around here, they salt and plow, so we never get much in terms of hard-pack - just fresh snow or plowed wet roads with black ice. Had Blizzaks on my last quattro ('90 coupe) and they sucked - nice on ice/deep snow but soooo squirmy on pavement that it was scarey!

So, now's the time to sound off on winter rim and tyre choice. I'd really appreciate the benefit of your experience and it will make for a decent FAQ.

all the best,
imr.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maybe you haven't seen a "definitive" thread here because there's a wheel and tire forum.

Seriously, if you want to see more about wheels and winter tires, go to the wheel and tire forum. That's what it's for.

I use steel wheels, 15" 195's with Pirelli 210A's. But let's face it, this isn't a subject where there's a "right" answer. Personal preference, budget, location, and driving habits all play a role in deciding what what wheel/snow tire combo is "right" for any given person.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:23 AM
imr

Default Agreed - but how about an A4 centric thread on this?

Good point - I should have read further, but my attention span and excitement about my new car got the better of me.... :-)

The benefit of a thread here is that it will be A4 centric.

imr.
Old 11-24-2001, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default there are other forums? besides this one? i think it would be cool if ....

there were forums for other stuff, like photography or flyfishing or paragliding or other stuff, but then i'd have to get another computer.
Old 11-24-2001, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default '02 1.8T QMS, just installed 215/55/16 Hakka Q with steel wheels...

Overall, they're about the same diameter as the summer OEM 235/45/17 but not quite as wide, which will help with traction in lousy road conditions.

So far, the dry handling of the Hakka Q's has been great, better than I expected it would be. The tread is soft, but just drive smart and they'll be more than adequate. Bring on the snow!