A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

When will an auto manufacturer design different styles based on the intended

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When will an auto manufacturer design different styles based on the intended

target market, then stick with it.
Seems like they do something radically different to introduce a change. If it works, over time, they make everything they sell look like it.

I think Audi currently has one of the more diverse product line looks (TT, Avant/Allroad, A4/S4, A3, A2, A6/A8). True they share some styling cues - but each group is very unique. Now take someone like Volvo. They introduce a change and everything shares that same major look. Audi is going in that same direction.

I don't see how that is good. If you've spent the market research time identifying a target market, then fully exploit it. Create a unique and different look for each segment rather than blending them together. Your logo, and minor styling cues will hold your brand recognition together. Once they start blending lines, the target market gets blurred. Maybe I'm missing something, but I like uniqueness.

Anyone know of other auto manufacturers who are successfull with having very different looking product lines (take away SUVs)? Seems like most have 1 'different' model and the rest share the same major traits. (MB, BMW, VW, Volvo, Acura....same, same, same, same, same)
Old 08-03-2001, 10:14 AM

true. regarding the 02 A4...it just doesnt look as sporty
Old 08-03-2001, 10:16 AM

Default You're forgetting that American car buyers as a whole like generic-ness

they(american car buyers) are very conservative in nature and if there's a formula that seems to sell well for one line the manufacturers natural inclination is to work that into the other models. It's unfortunate for us enthusiasts/purist that likes diversity in the product line. But they have to do what sells cars...we are a small voice compared to the rest of their client base.
Old 08-03-2001, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually the Germans tend toward sameness a lot as well.

Particularly in the luxury segment. Both Mercedes-Benz and BMW share the same basic elements across their entire line of heavy hitters. You basically have your choice of small, medium, or large.

For BMWs you have the 3, 5, and the 7. The brand identity at MB is even more pronounced as the C, E, and S classes are nearly indistinguishable at a distance.

It's actually pretty typical. Audi is going down that same road, but I still think their cars have more design presence then say the current 3 and 5 series which are easily mistaken for one another, particularly from the front.
Old 08-03-2001, 10:31 AM

Default I disagree because...

I thought the A6 2.8 looked docile and plain, but in the 4.2 form it looks agressive and sporty.

In stock form, the 02 A4 doesn't look that sporty. I'm sure the S4 variant will look VERY sporty and we'll all try to achieve THAT look when we see it.

my $.02

99.5 2.8QTIpS
Old 08-03-2001, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Is anyone successful at maintaining different lines?

Or is it the cycle of:
1) Introduce a new style
2) See how it works, if successful...
3) Use that style for all lines
Same cycle every few years.

Maybe it's because it is easier to predict future sales when you base it on the past success of a look. Different styles for different product lines may be too touchy/feely, or emotionally driven...I'm sure executives don't like that.
Old 08-03-2001, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think it's more of an evolutionary process...

You try new things, find out what works and continue along that path, letting the features that don't work go extinct. Continous innovation is required to keep the brand looking fresh and new, which is good for us since it means continous improvements.

This trend is really obvious in the technology incorporated into vehicles. ESP was first introduced as an option on the A4s, now it's standard. It works the same way stylewise. Also companies are playing with big dollars, and a radical design risks immense failure if it doesn't take off, though there are huge rewards if it does.

To illustrate this point check out the sales of the PT Cruiser... radically different, public went nuts. On the other side of the coin you have the Aztec. Radically different and well... you know the rest.

A lot of it comes down to money but that's just the reality of running such a large car company. Risk management is a serious and important part of any large company.

Come to think of it the larger the company the more homogenous the car designs seem to be. On one hand you have General Motors. How many different ways can they say bland four door sedan? On the opposite extreme you've got the very small super exotic shops like Lamborghini. At those production levels they're able to put more art into the car, cause they know they'll sell. GM cars are a commidity, so they're less apt to take risks. GM is bland and boring but they lumber on... Lamborghini has been restored from bankruptcy so many times it's almost comical.