A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Why does going to the dealership always involve PAIN ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does going to the dealership always involve PAIN ?

So I confirmed this morning that my hazard/signal lights relay was toast. I took it out...tweeked it, sprayed contact cleaner on it....NOTHING.

I called the local dealership - Broadway Audi in beautiful Oakland, California (uber alles)

I ask the parts guy, "I need a hazard relay for a 1999 A4."

Parts guy says, "What's your VIN number, otherwise it's possible to make a mistake."

I give him my VIN # and tell him it's a 1999 A4......two minutes later he says, "Yup...I have it in stock for $ 45.00"

I drive there through BAD traffic for thirty minutes, I can't signal because of the dead hazards;

NICE

I finally get there...I'm at the counter...he hands me the magic manila envelope with the part inside...."This is too easy" I think to myself.

I open it up...It's the hazard relay for the 99.5 and newer A4s. I show him my rectangular relay and he says, "Oh...the older style. I don't have that in stock and I'll have to order it. Will be here on Monday."

Great...two and a half days of not being able to signal.

NICE.

So I ask him if he can look on the computer to see if the part is available at another Audi dealership within a forty minute drive. As soon as he walks to the computer, the screen freezes and the system crashes. He can't check anything now via the computer. Not hesitating one second he says, "wow...just not your day."

NICE...

I ask him if I can get the phone numbers of the other dealerships so that I can call them myself. "Sure" he says. "But you'll have to ask someone in the showroom."

NICE...

I walk over to the showroom. The first two people I encounter look at me and say, "you'll have to look it up in the phone book."

NICE...

Finally, a salesman (the LAST person I thought would help me) gives me the numbers and I leave.

I call around and nobody has it but they can order it and it'll arrive either Saturday or Monday...

NICE

Then I remembered (slapping my forehead) my local Audi/VW tuner shop (Griffinmotorwerke) in lovely Berkeley, California (immer uber alles) and I call them and the girl says, "yeah....the rectangular hazard switch for your car is ordered and will arrive at the shop in an hour or so."

Part was purchased and now I can signal again. Just to confirm...the newer relay DOES blink a little faster and seems a bit louder. Whatever...

I hate dealerships......
Old 07-27-2007, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ah, a Dead Kennedys fan I see.

Give me convenience or give me death.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:35 PM

Default I wouldn't mind putting the parts guy with some dead Kennedys.....

Let him ponder the statement, "just not your day."
Old 07-27-2007, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Dead Kennedys on Guitar Hero Encore FTMFW
Old 07-27-2007, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i didn't know you're in the bay area. sucks, i thought Oakland's service is supposed to be good.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:27 PM

Default I've "known" the Oakland (Negherbon before) dealership since 2002 and I have never liked it much...

but then I really try to stay away from dealerships in general.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well avoid Stevens Creek no matter how desperate you ever are...

Rector gets good recommendations as does Livermore for service...