A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Why install BLOWOFF VALVES? Any pros. and cons?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why install BLOWOFF VALVES? Any pros. and cons?
Old 12-04-2001, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Why install BLOWOFF VALVES? Any pros. and cons?

Pros- for most import models is that you reduce turbo lag since unused air in the pipe will slow or stop the turbo fan.
-pssst blow off sound when you shift. I think it sounds awesome. Several people that I know that have turbos have blow off valves. The new subaru wrx has one right off the bat. Sound is very impresive. Kinda like a rattlesnake's rattle...it says beware!

Cons - I am not to sure about the warranty issue. If you find out, let me know.

-Blow off valves have yet to be proven bebeficial to the 1.8t. Audi's are set up with a ByPass Valve that returns the air to the engine.

-pssst sound when you shift. Say good by to being a sleeper. Depending on what brand you get, the sound will vary. My girlfriend found my last car absolutely annoying because of the Blitz blow-off valve I installed. Needless to say, she says I am more mature without the noise....little does she know my plans!!!
Old 12-05-2001, 12:10 AM

Default I would stay ways from a blow off valve.

I believe our Audi was not design to be used with a blow off valve, it uses a bypass valve to route the air back to the engine.

But I have seen 1.8T audis with modifications to run a blow off valve, but all of them said they just like the sound, and have no idea if it helps/hurts the performance.

I would stay away from a blow off valve, simply because there are no tuners out there that I know off offers a blow off valve in any of their performance stages. But all of them offer a bypass valve...

So i say, stay with the pros, there is got to be a reason why they don't use it...
Old 12-05-2001, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Obviously, i'm not looking forward to better performance with blowoff valves...

But it DOES sound cool !!! As long as it doesn't hurt the performance, I wouldn't hasitate to install it. Thanks for your concern.
Old 12-05-2001, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

BOV will mess up ur spark plug on 1.8T...(hurts performance)
Old 12-05-2001, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Why install BLOWOFF VALVES? Any pros. and cons?

Installing a BOV is not as good as a BPV because a BPV routes the air before the turbo so it keeps it spooled better between shifts. A BOV's main purpose is to prevent turbo damage and to keep it spooled, but doesn't do as good of a job as a BPV because instead of sending the air back through, it is sending it out in the atmosphere.

If you really have to have that sound you could just buy an intake, although there are mixed feelings about that. It gives you the noise your looking for regardless. Besides, unless the BOV is plumbed properly you will throw codes and run rich cause of all the sensors and some people have had their cars go in to "limp" mode.

Hope I helped.
Old 12-05-2001, 02:11 AM

Sound like fast N the Furious
Old 12-05-2001, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default I really don't understand why people are so fascinated by BOVs.

They sound really, really cheap. Just yell "wsshhhhhhPFT!" through every gear.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:02 AM

Default I actually saw a speed shop selling a device with a speaker that mounts to the engine bay.....

with a trigger on the gas and every time you let go of the gas, you will hear "wsshhhhhhPFT!" coming from your engine!!!!!

I could NOT believe it, the things people do....

I guess if you bulid it, people will buy it..
Old 12-05-2001, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey, some people have said they have had no problems w/ BOV's. Blitz BOV's sound the craziest

Quick Reply: Why install BLOWOFF VALVES? Any pros. and cons?