A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Will be installing stock sport suspension to non-sport suspension....

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2001, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will be installing stock sport suspension to non-sport suspension....

What sort of tools should I need to do this install myself? Spring compressor, one or two? Jack stands? Wrench sizes?

For those that have done this, what should I look out for? Any hints? How much time should I expect it to take?

Thanks!!
Old 05-21-2001, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just so happened I did this yesterday....(very long)

Tools needed: Beer, 1 jack, 2 jack stands, 6mm allen key, 9,13,17,18,19mm wrenches, 17,18,19mm sockets, socket extensions, channel locks, breaker bar straight screw driver (large) spring compressor of some type, a friend to help.

Do the front first because it's a PITA. It took me 4.5 hours with breaks and lunch. I had a crappy spring compresor that you had to manually turn, that definately added time to the project. Also take the time you line EVERYTHING up. I marked the pieces w/whiteout so everything would match up.

FRONT:
Put the front of the car on jack stands and remove wheels. The easiest way is to remove the 2 covers above each strut (under hood) These are 13mm bolts. The caps are hard to remove because they are sealed by undercoating from the back. Next inbolt the strut 18 mm I believe. Getting this bolt out is the hardest part of the whole project. Turn the steering wheel all the way to whatever side you are working on to the bolt will come out easier, you may need your helper to put pressure (stand on rotor/caliper). Once you get this bolt out you need to have the same person but alot of pressure on the caliper so the strut "U" shaped part clears the arm. Loosen up the top bolt that holds the strut assembly. If you don't have air tools it's a little harder. Get a 18mm socket and a 6mm allen key. Hold the socket w/the channel locks and loosen the strut from the shock shaft by turning the 6mm allen key. VERY IMPORTANT!!! Only loosen it a little do not remove bolt!!!!!! Mark the orientation of the strut cap and stut as well as all parts. If anything gets shifter you'll be compressing the spring several times to realign. Compress springs and reinstall.

REAR:
The rear is A LOT easier. Use the 9mm to remove the 2 black plastic nuts that hold the brake line to the rear arm. Pull off the silver holder and move line out of the way. In the upper fender there is a odd looking arm, I think it was a 19mm bolt and nut. Remove these paying attention to which way they were assembled. Take out bolt. Now remove the bolt that holds the rear shock to the arm, 18 or 19mm (can't remember everything). Next, remove the 4, 17mm bolts that hold the assembly to the car. Use a screw driver to push up the assembly while pushing down on the suspension arm. The whole thing should come out very easily. Compress spring. Remove the bolt form the suspension housing. You'll need a 18mm and 19mm. Pull out bolt and reinstall.

E-mail me if you need more details
Old 05-21-2001, 07:33 AM

Default Good write-up SScott. I also used the tech faq.

I ran into a problem with the bolt that connects the upper control arms to the shock assembly. It was seized in there bad. Had to use heat and zip gun the hammer it out. Luckily, my friend has air tools.

Good luck!<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel14.shtml">suspension install faq</a></li></ul>
Old 05-21-2001, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I should have some picts tonight or tomorrow morning.
Old 05-21-2001, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks, hey there's an idea....the faq. I should have look there before I typed all that =)
Old 05-21-2001, 08:36 AM
Former Vendor

Default Good, but...

The rears on a FWD are slightly different. The top shock mount is actually accessed from the interior of the car. The rear side seat cushions need to be removed. That will allow access to a small opening under the rear deck, right along side the C pillar. You'll loosen a couple bolts in there, and that'll let the tops of the strut go.