A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Wiring for a trunk mounted compact subwoofer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring for a trunk mounted compact subwoofer.

Have a 98 A4. I am going to install a trunk mounted compact subwoofer box with an integrated amplifier for a bit more low frequency grunt. I need to route the wires from the right rear speaker to the cars stereo unit. Does anybody know the best way to do this? Where to route the wires and what interior trim I need to remove and how I remove it.
Good advice is appreciated.
Kristinn K
Iceland.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

do a search under user ianbis I just spelt this out for someone
Old 08-02-2004, 03:59 PM

Default I have to wire a RCA cable also.

Thanks for your response. Since my Audi is a European version, it has no wiring for a subwoofer. Actually no B5 Audi in Iceland came with a stock stereo, they had a dealer installed Blaupunkt unit, which a have replaced. I will need to wire a RCA cable along with the power supply and remote wire (that is a wire that tells the amp whether the stereo is on or not.) from the trunk to the non-stock MP3 player. My best guess is to route the wire bundle from right or left front corner of the trunk, under the back seat cushion (how is that removed?) and there somehow under the centre stalk rear carpet, into the plastic centre stalk and there to the stereo unit. I already have a wired power cable there that goes through the fuse box. Maybe this is a stupid idea, but it is my best one for the moment, any comments on this?
Old 08-15-2004, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default wire the remote turn on from the fuse box on driver's side to a switched 12V source. Then the RCA's

from the back of the radio down the middle of the car (it is easy to slip the wires under the center console under the carpet and under the back seat just lift on the bottom cushion it will lift up) to the amp in the trunk. Or get a lineout converter and tap rear speaker's + and - to create an RCA low level ouput then on to your amp unless of course your amp has a high level input in which case tap rear speaker + and - and go straight into the amp. Then run the power from the battery down the opposite side of the car (ie opposite side to the remote turn on) to the amp in the trunk, groud amp to bolt in trunk for the luggage ring really great chassis ground, make ground wire as short as possible and same gauge as the power. Make sure that the power wire from the battery is correct gauge to match amp and make sure you have a fuse close to the battery matching the fuse rating on the amp.