A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

WOW! The stock speakers are pretty darn good (more)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-1999, 04:00 PM
Rodney

Default WOW! The stock speakers are pretty darn good (more)

Just got an amp installed. I got an Eclipse 3640, it's got 60 watts per channel X 4 channels. It's connected to the line level outputs on my concert head unit and mounted on the back of the rear driver's side seat. I had it installed by the folks at Dashboard Stereo in Raleigh, NC and they did an awesome job. As for the sound...Holy Cr*p, the stock speakers aren't half bad!!! I plan on replacing them with either Boston Acoustics or a/d/s at some point, but am in no hurry. The bass is deeper, tighter, and better controlled. Mids and highs are cleaner and smoother. Also, soundstage and clarity are much improved. The amp has transformed the stock Concert stereo into an excellent sounding system. If you are considering upgrading the Concert system, start with an amp, you'll be amazed.

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 08-02-1999, 05:07 PM
Cary B

Default I agree, though I went with the a/d/s/ for fronts and kept stock rear.

nt
Old 08-02-1999, 05:34 PM
Mike

Default I went through three sets (Rockford, Kenwood Pioneer) to find that out.

I've installed a Rockford fostgate 400a4 amp and changed the rears to a set of kenwood components which work great...but you are right,...less bass until you add a sub. The fronts outperformed: a set of Rockford Fanatic X component, a set of kenwood components, and a set of pioneer components (all only half as loud as loud as the stock),...I'm still thinking that the ground wire is not big enough to handle the load....I'll try this later but if you've had a similar experience, please email me.
Old 08-02-1999, 05:36 PM
John

Default Rodney. . .I'm thinking of doing the same. . .was the amp and installation expensive?

/
Old 08-02-1999, 06:08 PM
Rodney

Default Pretty reasonable.

The amp was $250 and install was another $130 (including parts (power, RCA, and speaker cables) and labor). They soldered the connections to the line level pinouts on the back of the deck for me. I considered doing it myself, but I lacked the tools (no place to keep tools in a barracks room) and with temps in the high 90's plus high humidity, I had no interest in spending a couple of hours pulling my car appart. There was also a 4 channel Alpine amp for $150 (I think), but it was lower power and didn't sound quite as good as the Eclipse. Figure out what you're willing to spend and then listen to some amps in the price range. Also, the line level outputs use a common ground, it's labeled comm on the deck. So when connecting the RCA cables to the head unit, the midle wires go to the apropriate pins (RF, LF, RR, LR) and the outside wires all get connected to the common ground. The installer wasn't sure if it would work, but thanks to A4.org, I knew that was how to do it. Feel free to email me with any questions, I'm not on the board as that much anymore...LAN-***** at work are cracking down.

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 08-02-1999, 07:00 PM
Lorry

Default Who makes the stock speakers for the concert sound system?

/
Old 08-02-1999, 08:02 PM
Tech_KO

Default Blaupunkt on 99.5 and above.

nt