A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

1.8t vs 2.0t

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8t vs 2.0t

Hi all, I was thinking about buying a b6 or b7 Audi a4, and am not sure which one to go for. Right now I'm leaning towards a 2005 Audi b6 a4 quattro 1.8. Though the b7 2.0ts look very tempting, but I have heard they're harder to maintain over time and have more issues. Any advice from those that have owned one or the other could give?
Old 03-14-2023, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 96 Likes on 91 Posts

The 2.0T have a lot of issues and buying used, you just don’t know what you are getting. There are a lot of reported issues on oil consumption, oil pump failure, carbon build up, cam follower failure, high pressure fuel pump, excessive oil leaking into your charge pipes, oil cooler leaks, PCV codes.

All of the 2.0T that we have parted out have been bought with catastrophic head failure due to low oil pressure. The symptoms were all the same. Low oil pressure light comes on and within a minute, the cams lock up and bent valves occur. The biggest question we always have is why did it lose oil pressure? What was the cause? It’s one of the main reasons we haven’t rebuilt a 2.0T for resale. We just don’t know where it failed. Oil pumps are very expensive and these cars just aren’t selling for that much anymore.

With the AMB 1.8T, the most common issues are cracked heads. Most of the 1.8T’s that have come through the shop and weren’t running properly were due to cracked heads. Milkshake in the coolant or oil pan. Over heating. Misfires in cylinders 2 and 3. No other major issues with the 1.8T.

Other than that both platforms have the same wear and tear components like brakes and control arms.
Old 03-15-2023, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Cybersombosis
The 2.0T have a lot of issues and buying used, you just don’t know what you are getting. There are a lot of reported issues on oil consumption, oil pump failure, carbon build up, cam follower failure, high pressure fuel pump, excessive oil leaking into your charge pipes, oil cooler leaks, PCV codes.

All of the 2.0T that we have parted out have been bought with catastrophic head failure due to low oil pressure. The symptoms were all the same. Low oil pressure light comes on and within a minute, the cams lock up and bent valves occur. The biggest question we always have is why did it lose oil pressure? What was the cause? It’s one of the main reasons we haven’t rebuilt a 2.0T for resale. We just don’t know where it failed. Oil pumps are very expensive and these cars just aren’t selling for that much anymore.

With the AMB 1.8T, the most common issues are cracked heads. Most of the 1.8T’s that have come through the shop and weren’t running properly were due to cracked heads. Milkshake in the coolant or oil pan. Over heating. Misfires in cylinders 2 and 3. No other major issues with the 1.8T.

Other than that both platforms have the same wear and tear components like brakes and control arms.
Dang thanks for that info I appreciate it
Old 03-18-2023, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have (had) the 1.8 AMB. At a 120,000 miles the flashing red light of death came on. This is when the car was about 10 years old. I knew there was some sort of TSB but not recall on the AMB engine. I had it towed to the dealership. They found metal shavings in the oil and determined it was an issue with oil circulation which was addressed in the TSB.

Audi replaced my entire engine no charge and rebuilt my transmission since they had it apart. I only had to buy the parts. So at 120,000 miles I got a new block and new transmission for about $800. Can't beat that.

At any rate, just letting you know, the early AMB engines had issues. Not sure what year they corrected those issues. Attached is the receipt showing you what was done.
Old 03-25-2023, 12:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Definitely 1.8