A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

2003 A4 ...Won't take gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 A4 ...Won't take gas

Just wondered if anyone has had a problem at certain gas stations filling up. At the local Mobil, the tank can be empty. The pump clicks off and won't even go past 1/4 tank. Yet it took a full tank at the Sunoco down the road. This has happened at 2 different Mobils. Just curious. Audi says they don't have an answer.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default That problem

was common in the 02's. it's phantom. make sure the nozzle is in correctly. but really, mine just went away.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've had that problem with a couple BP pumps
Old 11-25-2004, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default try pulling out the nozzle out about an inch

that may stop it from cutting off. used to happen in my accord all the time.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:22 PM
Banned

Default Vapor recover in Pump

Some pumps will not dispense if there is not a good enough seal around the gas opening. The pump is designed to put gas in and recover the displaced vapors in your tank for environment purposes. Recently, I had to use two hands and lean to get a good enough seal at some station.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 227 Likes on 191 Posts
Default Going through that problem with dealer......see link to other post

There is a vent valve that is opened when the pump nozzle pushes away that little cover over the filler hole and touches the valve. If this is bad, no venting takes place and depending on the gas station the sensitivity with shutoffs is different. If this vent valve is bad the whole gas tank need to be replaced as the valve is not servicable. Now the evap canister can be blocked also causing thiss problem. I will run some tests tomorrow to determine if it's the tank, canister or LDP (leak detection pump). I have a Dec 8th appointment at the dealer to go further but prefer to find the fault myself before they remove the tank and royally mess things up.....it's never put back together correctly again!<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/731316.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/731316.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 11-25-2004, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Many of us don't use those kind of pumps and have problems.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Had this problem twice in 3 years when gas was very low.

Both times I filled with only 3L left in the tank.

The pump clicks off and a ton of gas flows back and all over the paint.

If I vent the pressure by just inserting the nozzle without pumping gas, the back pressure gets released and the gas will pump OK.

Searching around, I think a lot of people have had this problem. I've never seen it when the tank was less empty.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This is what I found out so far today to what may cause this....

I was 8 gallons low so I went to the station and tried to replace the 8 gallons and after the first 2 gallons constant shutoff..click, click, click, etc. every 0.1 gallon. I stopped filling after the 2 gallons were in.

Went back to my garage and removed the circular panel covering the evaporator canister and removed the larger of the 2 hoses which is the tank vent to evaporator canister hose. Went back to the filling station and put the remaining 6 gallons in with only one click when finished topping off.....BINGO!!!!

I replaced the vent hose and will wait until I'm 8 gallons low again and then pull the hose from the evap canister to the LDP pump to determine what is blocked the evap canister or the LDP pump. The fuel tank vents through the evap canister and then through the LDP pump/air filter.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Kacky, for your problem.....

It may be slightly different nozzle diameters. The little door that covers the fuel filling hole is pushed away by the nozzle and presses against a vent valve switch. You can push the door with your finger and feel the valve switch activating.

If this valve is bad then the fuel tank needs to be replaced!

Now if the tank vent valve is not bad it's either the evaporator canister or the LDP pump which are super easy to replace.

Quick Reply: 2003 A4 ...Won't take gas