A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

2004 B6 Driver Information Display (DIS) I figured it out!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what are you really trying to say?

Would you trade all the color DIS for a NAV+ option?
Old 04-28-2003, 09:52 PM

Default Well, Audi has some of the worst product placement.

It doesn't really surprise me. Remember the fight to get leather as an option on the 1.8T? So what does Audi do? Use lower quality leather and only cover the seating surfaces. Then add a 1K option for the premium on the 3.0.

Now you get the 6-speed with the 1.8T, but not 190HP. I guess it worked well enough for you to cancel your order

Mike
Old 04-28-2003, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I wasn't tryin to say anythin. All I tried to say was that you get the cheap blue display (more)

with no driver info on base 1.8T in 2004 so it seems. And the red display that used to be standard in the US now part of the premium package. This is ALL I tried to say, nothing more nothing less.

And if I don't have NAV+, then YES I'd prefer the all red display over the color one to keep everything looking the same red. There is no need for color to display mileage and temperature or radio station information. And the basic blue one that the cloth seat with no sunroof preferrers will get looks like a sore thumb, this is ALL I tried to say.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 190hp would have hurt their 3.0 sales.

Same goes for VW Passat. They have a 190hp anemic V6 and a 170hp 1.8T. And they have 180hp 1.8T in the Jetta and the GTI. It's marketing. They could get more horses out of the 1.8 (they clearly did with the TT) but that would make the 3.0 useless, and that's where their money is. The extra $5K in the 3.0 and all you get is the engine, some chrome around the window frames and wood trim (which is NOT my cup of tea btw). If they had a 225hp (or even 190hp) 1.8T with better low end torque, why would you want the 3.0?

The 6-speed is peer pressure from other manufacturers of sport sedans and it will keep the 1.8T fresh for another year.

And YES I am glad that I am getting a 1.8T 6-speed, it will work out just great! The 6-speed and the factory Sirius (that will hopefully display artist and song title on the DIS ;-) ) made my decision definite.

190hp would have been nice, but how would that look when the little broter Passat still putts around with 170hp yet the A4 gets 190hp. Note that not all A4 customers know that the grass is greener on the other side of the Atlantic. And as long as they're kept in the dark they don't care and end up getting the 3.0.

I'm sure the 170hp with the 6-speed will be just fine! It's just another 100 days of my whining of not having my car yet is what you guys have to put up with is all :-)
Old 04-28-2003, 10:31 PM

Default I only regret the factory XM

I somewhat disagree with you on the V6 vs. I4. Had it been available, I'm not sure what I would have chosen. Coming from a 9-3 2.0, which was more tunable than the 1.8T I'm just a little tired of dealing with turbos. I decided this time around I will go NA. For less than 2K, you can have 265HP with the 9-3. Comparing a chipped 1.8T and a stock 3.0. The 3.0 will pull harder below 3K and above 5.5K. The 1.8T has the obvious lead in the midrange. I'm definetly not the only one here that feels this way. While I'm not against modding, I really don't want to be forced only to then be harrased by Audi. If ABT(factory installed) were available here, I don't think it would have been a problem. If I get bored with the 3.0, maybe the PES SC kit (whenever they put it out) at 300-330HP is where I'll go.

I do agree with the wood trim. I would have liked to see an option between wood or aluminum. Since I ordered Atlas, I think it will be cool with color matched trim. I'll pick up a set of fiberglass and go from there. I haven't done any painting in a long time, so if it turns out horrible I'll have my brother's shop do it. The chrome trim is growing on me. I would have rathered smoked like on the B5 S4, but the aluminum is fine. I'm just not a fan of the black roof rails on the avant. I think the Amulet with chrome trim looks amazing in person.

LOL, I am still out another month on my avant. I kind of regretted getting the '03 because it will be outdated almost immediately, but I'm fine. The only thing that would have changed is the radio, and light sensor package, and I don't care about the auto headlights and *coming/going" feature. I already have the pioneer xm installed in my car, now I'm just trying to figure out where I'll install it.

Mike
Old 04-28-2003, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default That looks like the DID I have in my car.

Look at my picture poster for more info. BTW I don't have NAV.

-Jimbo
Old 04-29-2003, 12:36 AM

Default WRONG WRONG WRONG - I am in the UK and have the brochure

2003 Standard cars get a red display, but one which doesnt show the radio/cd information and doesnt show mpg and other stats like outside temp.

DIS comes as part of the SE pack or as a £300 extra (is not in sport pack so cost me £300 with sport ;-(). DIS adds the missing features mentioned above - but is still red.

The COLOUR display (the one you refer to as 'crappy' blue) is what we in the UK get with our NAV package. THIS IS A FACT FROM THE BROCHURE AND THE DEALER. The display also has higher resolution and can display directional instructions from the NAV - even if it doesnt have all the menus that the U.S. Nav package has.

The website has the wrong picture for the standard one. If you read what the DIS gives you, one of the things is outside temp. Then look at the pic of the colour ('blue') one - it is showing outside temp. Proof that this is the wrong picture...

I can scan the brochure if you dont believe me - its 100% true.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:29 AM

yes, we have the DIS that came with the SE package, still red etc.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In that case I guess the UK website needs an update/fix

So I guess the non DIS one is the same as all the ones in current Passats in the US (except W8) red, and olny half the height of the DIS with warning lights filling up the upper half.

So what it boils down to is non-premium A4s will get the cheaper one that you can have a look at today at your local VW dealer, while premium will get the same one they've always been getting but now it's a "premium" item.

I hope that is the bottom of it!
Old 04-29-2003, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, that is definetely the NAV display, I guess you got lucky (if you think color is cool/needed)

Quick Reply: 2004 B6 Driver Information Display (DIS) I figured it out!