A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

2nd brake question...anybody make replacement rotors for the B6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd brake question...anybody make replacement rotors for the B6?

And not the ecs-tuning overkill $500 rotors either. Doesn't look like DBA makes replacement rotors for the B6 yet. Been searching and I can't find any. Don't want to throw mintex pads on oem rotors...doubt they'll last long before warping. I can't even find someplace to source oem rotors besides the dealer.

If I decided just to replace my pads and rotors, where would I find rotors? <shrug>
Old 01-25-2004, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

ECS sells plain stock rotors as well as drilled, slotted and overkill varieties
Old 01-25-2004, 08:27 AM

Default Power Slot, Brembo, Zimmerman,....

They all have F & R app, but some are plain for rear rotor, while the fronts are slotted or drilled.
Try <a href="http://www.pure-motorsport.com/products/select.php?CA=31">PureMotorsports</a>. Many aftermarket tuners will have pad/rotor upgrades for OEM.
And ECS does offer OEM replacement/upgrade rotors other then the expensive ones, as well as Brembo, Zimmerman,... <a href="http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?html=info-Braking-OEM.html&make=Audi&model=B6%20A4&submodel=Quattro& engine=1.8T">Here</a>

Which Mintex Pads? Mintex Red Box are said to be not much of an improvement over OEM pads except for less dust. You might want to try Carbotech Bobcat.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You've been doing a lot of brake research...what're you going with?
Old 01-25-2004, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default ECS sells plain...

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Audi&amp;engine=1.8T&amp;mod el=B6%20A4&amp;submodel=Quattro&amp;category=Braki ng

Check it out...
Old 01-25-2004, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Use-up the oem ATE rotors first &amp; don't buy ATE again. Zimms or Brembro afterwards.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:23 PM

Default Haven't decided yet, but....

so far I like the ECS Stage 4 Porsche BBK.

For a more simple, less expensive upgrade to OEM, I would consider this option;

Power Slot Rotors F&amp;R
Carbotech Bobcat pads
SS Lines
Motul 5.1

You could choose another rotor brand like Brembo, Zimmerman, ECS,.. as well. I would also consider using the Porsche HP-2 caliper reaplacement from <a href="http://www.hyperformance.ca/">Hyperformance</a>. It shows application for our car, but I have not confirmed it.

The S4 B5 brake conversion is obviously a good upgrade too. Or maybe the S4 B6, although I do not know if it is a direct swap. Then, upgrading the rotors and pads with aftermarket. This might be a better approach then just upgrading the rotors and pads. I haven't looked into the S4 conversion, so I do not know the facts of them having more pistons and larger dia. piston.
Pads make quite a difference. But w/o a good caliper (pistons and size of them) there to push that pad, it can only increase braking performance so much. Our master cylinder is from the S4 B5, so it can handle the caliper from it fine (along with a 4 piston, or even a 6 piston caliper) w/o much increase in pedal travel. Definitely upgrade the rear as well (if just w/ rotors and pads).
So, if you want to spend the least amount of money, then just get F&amp;R rotors, pads, SS Lines and fluid. If you want a little more "bite", get S4 calipers (or other) along with better rotors, pads, SS lines and brake fluid.

The System 1 upgrade kit from <a href="http://www.qrsmotorsport.com/">BIRA/QRS</a> looks good and not too expensive ($1375). I think there was GB going on for this at <a href="http://bira.org/">BIRA.ORG</a>
Old 01-25-2004, 08:36 PM

Default You sure seem to have a lot of h[ate] ;) First for their fluid. Now their rotors...

What happened?

I saw a BBK by them (supposedly the first TUV BBK) from pictures in an article in European Car covering SEMA stuff. Looks really nice. Uses their "atomic" slotted rotor of course.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default They warp like a *****. Lowest quality rotor outside Pep Boys. Remember...

12 Audis later, I've done a few brake jobs. The Fluid bias is from my Bosch Center, although I've heard it repeated elsewhere. Currently runnin Powerslots, no problems, but x-drilled Zimms are next. ATE warped again and again until I used Brembros on other cars.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:59 AM

Default Good to know. Haven't heard much feedback on them to gauge appropriately.

They're sold at a lot of VW/Audi aftermarket dealers though. Power Slot, Brembo, Zimmerman, ECS, dba,... would be my other picks. I heard Zimmerman really rusts though (more so then normal). I hate rusty looking rotors (unswiped areas). Just looks bad and makes such a mess of nice wheels when washing - afterwards.

Fluid wise; I agree, "No ATE". I pick Motul 5.1 or RBF600, AP Racing 551, or Pentosin Super DOT4 or Racing.

Quick Reply: 2nd brake question...anybody make replacement rotors for the B6?