A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

A4 1.8T Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 1.8T Reliability

At the moment I am driving a 2004 Nissan Maxima, since I bought it I have been constantly spending money on repairs, and it feels like its a never ending list. It sucks, because I really like the car, but spending money every month on repairs is getting old, fast.

When shopping around I wanted an Audi, I now feel like I should have gotten an Audi. How reliable is the A4 1.8T? or the 2.0T B7? I think I will lose some performance vs the Maxima, but the reliability it something I want (and need). I also know I can get some APR products for the Audi if I feel like I want some more performance.

If I do decide to trade in, what advantages does the B7 have over the B6? Did any owners in here consider a B7 and get a B6? if so why?

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default you have to constantly spend money to keep an Audi reliable

and it won't be any cheaper.

plus the VQ35 engine is very good, your maxima is faster than a k04 1.8t or 2.0t.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Just picked up a B6 Avant - great car but like my other Audi it needs service...

You don't need deep pockets but you will need to get to know an independent mechanic who has alot of Audi knowledge. This will save in the long run!
Depending how new you go a warranty may still be attached. Also if you buy used from an Audi dealership you may get an extended warranty.

Stay on top of the work needed and the car will last a long time!
Old 08-31-2008, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: you have to constantly spend money to keep an Audi reliable

That's pretty much what I had figured. I think I am just fed up at the amount of money that is being spent on the Maxima, the engine is very good, and mine is loaded with options.

Just having to constantly spend money every month on repairs is driving me insane. Couple that with knowing I originally wanted an Audi is making it all the more frustrating lately.

Bah!
Old 08-31-2008, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I just bought a B6 rather than a B7

This is my 4th Audi. I chose the B6 as it looks like an Audi. The B7 to me although a very nice car looks a bit generic form the back. The front wide mouth grille needed the iteration to the B8 to get it right for IMO. However, it does have noticeably more power. If you want a great used car warranty, Audi's CPO is one of the best.

That said, like all cars, proper maintenance and attention are required. Things like the timing belt must be done or you're risking scrambling the engine guts, a very expensive thing. You must use synthetic oil etc... I've owned Lexus, BMW, MB and others. My favorite car for combination of AWD, comfort and handling as well as that certain something in the gut is Audi.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My Dad told me "You can put $1K into a $1K car and you still only have a $1K car"

Once cars start needing constant repairs of non-wear out items it's a never ending rat hole. You get to the point of telling yourself, that you've got so much into it now, that you've fixed it and that you should be good. That's when yet another thing goes wrong.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default CPO'd B7 2.0t quattro. You won't be disappointed.

A chip on the 2.0t completely transforms the car.

For performance comparison, a chipped 1.8t is about on par with a stock 2.0t. A chipped 2.0t is easily as good as a 1.8t with a K04 turbo upgrade.

My GF just picked up an '06 2.0t quattro, and I much prefer the B7 to the B6 (no offense to any of the guys here). The 2.0t is just great.

I'd take a big-turbo ultrasport B6 over a base B7, but the B7 S-Line cars are gorgeous and very nicely equipped.

There are some very nice CPO incentives at the moment; low % APR and $ off.

Oh, and if you don't like paying for repairs, do not buy an Audi that's out of warranty! Reliability between the B6 and B7 should be basically the same. If you're looking at CVTs, the CVT in the B7 is better. Coil packs in the B7 aren't known to fail like the B6s.

Other than that, they're mostly the same car.

Trending Topics

Old 08-31-2008, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: My Dad told me "You can put $1K into a $1K car and you still only have a $1K car"

This is exactly how I feel, it really has been one thing after another. There are things I wanted to do to improve/upgrade the car a little, but each and every month that I have owned it there has been something that needs to be repaired.

Off the top of my head right now I know I need my high side a/c line replaced, I have an exhaust gasket that constantly rattles, need new tires (and at least a front end alignment).

The problem is that I owe a chunk of finance on the Maxima, and barring finding the deal of a lifetime on an Audi either have to get into a crappy finance deal or stiick with the Maxima. Neither is particularly appealing.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

B7 has a lot of improvements over B6 including clutch, brakes, trans, engine
Old 08-31-2008, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I was referring to reliability issues, and I mentioned the problematic CVT

and discussed the engine changes.

But yes, the brakes are a very nice improvement (uses B6 S4 calipers).

Were I buying a CPO'd A4, you better believe it'd be a B7. I wouldn't even consider the B6.

Quick Reply: A4 1.8T Reliability