A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Alarm and oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm and oil

Hi all again,

Sorry to bother everyone but need some help. Have 2005 A4 1.8t. Now I have been told I have not been using the best oil and filter combination. I don't know exactly what the filter is but I am switching to total oil with a bigger filter (think they said has a check valve on it).

Anyways my question is now that I am switching do I need to perform anything (like should I do a seafoam first). Any recommendations would help.

2) I am getting the following:

Ran a VAGCOM auto check and found following faults:

Address 46
Controller: *E0 959 433 BB
Component: Komfortgerat T7B 1612
Coding: 16232
01403 - Glass-Break Sensors: Rear
36-00 - Open Circuit
01560 - Passenger Door
59-10 - Can't unlock - Intermittent

and am wondering if this mod in the link below caused this issue (no idea if it was there before). Does the "Avant (glass break sensors in rear side and rear windows)" being checked have any bearing to this problem above.

Below is what I did.

http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page=webcontent/pages/remotewindows.html

3) Any maintenance I can do for turbo (i don't have a problem with it) but want to keep it that way. I have 155,000 KM on my car. I keep hearing n20 valve to change (or something like that).

Thanks again you guys are awesome.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What kind of oil were you using? Synthetic? What about the old filter?

I've seen the glass break and unlock codes on my Avant before, and I'm pretty sure they have nothing to do with anything under your hood (like, related to your oil).
Old 09-18-2011, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Not related to oil

Thanks MaxD,

I was using Castrol Syntec 5W40. I was also using the Bosch oil filter (72199WS Oil Filter ).

Right, I am not saying the glass break sensor has anything to do with the oil but moreso, the key fob change I programmed to the ECU so that I can roll up and down my windows directly from the remote. There is a setting called

"Avant (glass break sensors in rear side and rear windows)"

and was wondering if I should uncheck this setting (I had it checked)and reprogram. I don't want to keep reprogramming because things are working good (aside for the glass break).

Thanks again
Old 09-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah... I think the Syntec may not be the best option (I use Mobil 1 or Pentosin 5W40... I think pretty much everyone tries to use high-quality synthetic oil in these cars thanks to the super-hot turbo). Also, the Bosch filter might be the older, smaller filter? Definitely want the bigger, newer version.

As far as changing oils go, I personally would probably run Seafoam or AutoRX or something through it, but I'm pretty sure you can just change to synthetic oil without any fancy transition.

Depending on how long you've been running Syntec in it, and how long your oil change cycle was, you might want to have a look at the valve train to make sure you're not getting sludge. When the oil feed lines or sump get clogged up, major damage can ensue.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

1) I would stick to the list in the Audi TSB regarding oil; both of MAXd's recommendations are on the list. Also, use a very high quality filter; filter of my choice is the Mann filter.

http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/09..._1997-2010.pdf

Using a good oil and filter and using a cool-down (30 seconds at idle before shutdown) are the best thing to keep your turbo working as long as possible.

2) I'm with Maxd and don't believe the "mod" you did is causing your alarm codes, but don't really know. I suspect there is something wrong with the wiring or sensor. Is your alarm not setting?
Old 09-19-2011, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Awesome stuff everyone

MaxD and lyleswk thanks so much.

As for the seafoam, I hear if you do it, you will need to change all sorts of things after it is done like spark plugs, valve cover gaskets and I may develop leaks. I changed both spark and valve cover recently. Not sure if this is true (sorry to keep at this).

I have recently bought the total oil recommended in the link but not sure on what my mechanic got for filter. I will check.

As for the alarm code. No the alarm arms fine (I am just a stickler for everything being in tip top shape with my car that is all). Is there anything I can scan or do or even look at since I am at a lose where the glass break sensors are Like I say alarm triggers and passenger door locks and opens fine. Yes I have cleared the codes numerous times (as an FYI).

Thanks again everyone.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

1) You will notice the door fault is "intermittent" and not permanent. This could mean either wiring or the actuator itself. All of the problems I have had with door locks on my Audi have been wiring, but you will have to tear into the door and look at this yourself.

2) As far as the glass sensor, no clue. I did a search on a couple of the sister forums and found nothing.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks lyleswk

Thanks so much lyleswk for the info.