A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Anybody know why Audi.......?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody know why Audi.......?

Why did they changed the FI's for lower rate ones?
And no FPR. I think maybe because of ULEV......ULEV SCHMULEV. No sense to me lowering specs on engine for a next gen model. And VW's 1.8T has a 10hp advantage on Audi's 1.8T. I still don't understand why A4 STILL under 200hp. Like I stated on another thread, I don't consider a car only for it's performance (i.e Power), but almost all cars in it's class overpower the A4. Gotta put mods in it to be at the competitors level, and then they give you **** about warranty. Don't get me wrong, I love my car but...

IMO, **** ULEV, get with the program dammit!
Old 01-30-2002, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Perhaps they made those changes to hinder the chip tuners...

It's clear that Audi doesn't want people modifying their cars, then running to the dealerships for warranty work when they break (I'm not saying that this is what people do, just that this is Audi's concern). So it's possible that they made these changes to make life difficult, if not impossible, for the chip tuners. Seriously, why would Audi care if the fuel injectors can't handle a higher capacity? In there mind, why should they have to? If the car runs reliably out of the factory then they did their job. I doubt there is much sympathy coming from Audi for the tuners trying to squeeze power out of their application. They're probably having a good laugh about it...

Anybody else thinking the same thing?
Old 01-30-2002, 10:38 AM

Default So basically you mean that.....

As long as the car runs reliably, they don't care if they get smoked by everybody else. I would find that hard to believe. In the world of car Manufacturers, everybody want's to outdo the next guy. If they didn't there would be race cars, they don't race for the hell of it. Racing programs are their test lab. If they don't want people messing with their car's, then how come in Germany you can get some mods through the dealer?
Kind of contradictory if you ask me. MHO
Old 01-30-2002, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default How are we all so sure its a hardware issue?...

Are you all aware that there are no chips for 2002 Audi's and VW's in Europe as well? Did you know that the actual coding of the Bosch ME7 Multitronic (This is not Audi's Multitronic transmission) ECU has changed and now has far more checksums? Did you know that a major German supplier of hardware and software to the aftermarket chip "industry" has info on the checksum issue on their public <a href="http://www.evc.de/en/news.asp?rnd=1" target="_top">website</a> (oh and while there why not pick up the equipment to open your OWN chip business, that's what they supply)?

Has anyone gone to their dealer and checked the injector part# for a 2002 against a 2001 and VERIFIED if there has been a change? Has anyone wondered if the lack of a FPR makes any difference (after all, on all DBW cars since 2000 it has been unecessary to replace the FPR with a higher pressure one)?

Hmm. Don't just ACCEPT answers, do some checking. The truth is out there.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Audi won't be laughing when we quit buying Audi's!

Car modifications have been around for as log as cars! This new chip isn't something we just invented. If Audi wants to crap on aftermarket tuners then over time no one will care to tune Audis.

IMHO Audi should have open source code to the computer allowing aftermarket tuners to build a reliable product. And Audi could test, sell, and warranty up to a certain hp.

If Audi wants to crap on enthusiasts then they mine as well build FWD econo-boxes for the mass market and kiss my money good bye.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:45 AM

Default Hardware and tuning is not the issue.....

The bottomline question is why are underpowered when compared to the competition.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:48 AM

Preach on! Brother Dustin A4.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default One of the reason I converted to the dark side was because of this

the 1.8T is dated and the engine is now in a bunch of VWAG cars with more hp too. Bring on a small V6 or turbo the 2.0l Alu block engine.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The 1.8T is the base engine (in the US) so I don't think performance #s are Audi's main concern.

In Audi of America's mind, if you want more HP, then you should buy the 3.0 or an S4. The 1.8T affords people the chance to buy an A4 at a reasonable price compared to other sport sedans, but at a performance cost. I see what you're saying about outdoing the next guy, but that's what the "S" cars are for. Offering the 1.8T as an economical solution to people who want to purchase an Audi is their way to broaden the customer base and sell more cars.

BTW, my point is not to bash the 1.8T and 1.8T owners on this forum. Obviously there is power to be had from the 1.8T engine and there are many advantages to it over the 3.0 from the enthusiast's perspective. Just don't expect Audi of America to make things easy for the people choosing to go this route.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:22 AM

Default What I don't understand is...

Why Audi isn't capitalizing on the tuning market instead of trying to kill it?

Given that:
- It's obvious there are MANY people interested in tuning their cars
- These cars can be SAFELY tuned to provide more power
- They would have a killer advantage in that they already KNOW the car's programming
- There is alot of money in it

Personally, I would choose a Audi 40 hp chip over an APR/Giac/Neuspeed chip that produced 50 hp. Why? Because I know I would have no warranty issues.

Subaru does it.
BMW does it.

Audi please do it.

*gets off the soapbox*

Quick Reply: Anybody know why Audi.......?