A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Anyone else upset about our trunk release?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone else upset about our trunk release?

I was just outside smoking a cig. and someone was walking to their new Nissan Altima. The popped the trunk with the remote and the trunk opened all the way!
On my it just pops open a little bit. You still have to physically open the trunk.
Maybe mine is broken, or maybe Audi just missed this?
Old 03-25-2002, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Altima's trunk is much lighter....

The only thing I am upset with so far in my Audi is the 1st - 2nd gear shift.... It is just impossible to shift @5K RPM for example.
Old 03-25-2002, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audi trunks use pistons

that altima probably had 2 big hoop bars that extend from the lid, over the back lip of the trunk and underneath that are springy (like spriny loaded) which is WHY they can just fly open like that. Not to mention the trunk lid is lighter.

audi's uses pistons on the outside of the interior of the trunk, which means no trunk room is taken up, and it provides a more secure trunk lid. The altima trunk lid could EASILY close down on you with a gust of wind, as with ANY trunk lid of that style.
Old 03-25-2002, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I like ours the way it is.

In most cars, the lid release is right next to the gas release. Sometimes I would pull up to the pump and hit the trunk release by mistake. Feeling like a huge dork, I'd have to get out and close the trunk or pretend like i meant to open it and fish around in there for a while.
Also make me feel a little safer if it were to pop open while driving for some reason. Nothing would go flying out.
Old 03-25-2002, 01:28 PM

Given how windy it's been here lately (Toronto), I can see your point. Audi scores again!
Old 03-25-2002, 02:14 PM

Default This sounds about right

The trunk lids on both my Audis just popped the latch and waited for me to do the rest.

On my wife's C Class, that flying trunk lid could decapitate someone standing too close!
Old 03-25-2002, 03:07 PM

Default i know those support bars and i am happy with our trunks...

b/c i closed a trunk that, after driving, had something fall in the way of those bars...the trunk never closed flush again, something bent...bad design IMHO, and most cars are like that...
Old 03-25-2002, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's the light wimpy trunk on the Altima. My '01 325i opens the same way as the Audi...

It's all about it being solid and on pistons. Hey be glad, us first gen A4 owners don't even HAVE a remote release!
Old 03-25-2002, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I am sorry if I came across poorly.........

I am happy about how good our trunk is. It is very stiff, and no wind will blow it down. Very good thing! It is not flimsy at all.
I was just thinking it would be nice, and a true remote trunk open, if it opened all the way.
But I guess we cant have it all! Sturdy trunk or pop open all the way. I definately agree with everyone, sturdy trunk!

02 A4 1.8T MT-FT Dolphin/Platinum, Xenon's, Vag Mods, 30% Titanium Tint, 17" Audi Sport Rims, Audi Sport Rubber Mats, Sportec Interior on order. Rockford Enhanced on the way!
Old 03-25-2002, 04:29 PM

Default not to rain on the parade but, all benzes have trunks that open fully when popped...

Those are no lighter than the Audis but they do use the Hinge design. It still takes up trunk space however MB tuckes them under some paneling so nothing can fall on them etc when the car's in motion.

Think about it this way, I don't even HAVE a trunk pop in my 99.5 so having the button to pop the thing is an improvment on the old design.

Quick Reply: Anyone else upset about our trunk release?