A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

April and everyone who knows a lot about A4's. Here's the dilly:

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default April and everyone who knows a lot about A4's. Here's the dilly:

I want to try to get my car ready for the 1.8T challenge because I want to represent the new platform there. I sincerely believe that our frame is well suited for a racing environment, despite it increased weight, due to it's incredible regidity. I think I am going to have a custom clutch manufactured by one of the major aftermarket suppliers. I may do a semi-lightened single mass flywheel to increase reliability but not kill every day driveability.

My question:

With FMIC, Custom true CAI, Stage 3 Turbo upgrade (APR if it comes out or PES), Custom exhaust (2.5 - 3.0") with downpipe, what are the limits to the power I'll be able to produce. I have seen the 1.8T produce some serious kick. Is the B6 version capable of the same kick with blowing out of the engine bay?

I seriously want to have a good showing at the 1.8T Challenge because I want to show B5ers that the B6 is every bit as capable despite being a bit heavier. Sponsorship is being pursued and I have really been successful in my area. So far I have got the clutch upgrade parts and labor paid for, labor on the FMIC install paid for, labor on the custom exhaust paid for... Now the big part, the body, suspension, and the turbo upgrade...

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2003, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Did you enter or are you thinking of entering your car?
Old 05-10-2003, 06:07 PM

I would like to enter. Have not entered yet. At the very least I want to show the car.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It can handle more power then any of the SIII kits produce.

Also I think MTM makes a clutch for the B6.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:12 PM

But MTM's clutch isn't free :O)
Old 05-10-2003, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well you better check the rules because unless they changed them...

You had to enter by no later then March 15th if I remember to be accepted. They are already choosing the candidates and then the readers will vote for the final 10 to go to the competition.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:19 PM

Oh crap, are you serious! Already! It's in July!
Old 05-10-2003, 06:38 PM

Default That's debatable...

With ULEV emissions and cast pistons (vs. forged in the < '00 B5) reliability and output is questionable.

There were blown engines with large turbo upgrades. The majority were from improper installs, but I know there were atleast two that were installed correctly and seemed to operate fine before the upgrade.

April or ABT recommended no more than 260HP without a rebuild and forged pistons.

Mike
Old 05-10-2003, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No MTM products are not free but I checked with AMS but their shipment mist the boat.....

as April said and they were not sure of the price but they told me around $1200 to $1500.00 for their kit, this goes back several months ago. Same ball park as MTM. Believe me I made many many phone calls all over to be told there was nothing available. Now I usually never speak in the negative about other products especially when I never tried that product. In my research there was a clutch that PES sold for previous generation A4s that they claimed would fit on the B6 although I told them the B6's clutch is supposed to be different they insisted it wasn't (well we know it is). Anyways this clutch I later found out from people who had them on their cars had alot of problems with bedding them in and slippage. One guy actually removed it and installed a SACH racing unit. I would stay away from that clutch, of course this is my opinion. The other very serious clutch company I was looking at was Tilton (Champion Racing's RS 6 uses that clutch) but they are very expensive and their products are geared for racing and I think everyday driving would suffer.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry Courage007 but here is the confirmation from European Car Magazines web site.....

The deadline for submitting entries is March 15, 2003.

Quick Reply: April and everyone who knows a lot about A4's. Here's the dilly: