A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Attention dome light rattle victims...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attention dome light rattle victims...

I was finally able to kill the dome light rattle caused by my penchant for bass. If you have a rattle in your dome light you can suppress by holding your finger on the light cover I might have a permanent (knock wood) fix for you. Email me and I'll reply with details. If I get enough requests I'll post on Audiworld later.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default or you can follow Sohcrates' instructions

<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/int41.shtml">https://www.audiworld.com/tech/int41.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 11-21-2002, 08:08 AM

Default I've been in contact with Sohcrates...

I'm not sure if he got his car back from the body shop yet but he told me that his rattle was still there before he dropped it off. Here's our correspondences:

Hey Alex,

Knock on wood, I think I finally took care of the dome light rattle. First, I removed the map light cover, dome light cover and motion sensor cover. If there was a surface of one piece that mated with the surface of another I applied electrical tape to it and trimmed away the excess I then combined and cut a few pieces of e-tape to create a 2x2" square. I applied the square to the square-shaped feature between the two sensors. I wasn't sure whether this area came in contact with the back side of the sensor cover. After re-assembling the sensor cover I wedged half of a 2x2 piece of soft, thick, vinyl underneath the sensor cover. The other half of exposed vinyl cushions the edge of the dome light cover when it's snapped in place.

I'm considering taking pictures to post on auidworld but I'm not crazy about taking my dome light apart again after I just fixed it.

Sorry to hear about your fender bender. Good luck, Jason

"Alexander James Kosowski" &lt;alex@kitt.dhs.org&gt;
10/14/02 05:35 PM

To: &lt;JCioffi@icorally.com&gt;
cc:
Subject: RE: Map Light Rattle - Kill the RATTLE!

Hey Jason.
You know, it's funny. The fix i linked you to in my last e-mail worked great for me for a couple of months, but just last week i started hearing a new rattle, *VERY* similar to the one you describe. It def. sounds like it's coming from behind the motion sensor like you said.

There's another guy i'm in touch with on AW regarding this problem, and he's having the exact same issue. he told me he was gonna pull his down again and see if he can find the source of the new noise.

yes, if i put my finger anywhere on the map light, the rattle stops. i thought about putting foam up there, but wasn't sure if that would really work.
I plan to pull my map light down again soon and check it out , but my car's going into the shop for body work next week and i might not get it back till november.

but i'll def. stay in touch (and hope you do the same) if you or I figure out how to fix this.

my best suggestion for you is to tape up everything you can that looks like it might rattle.

good luck! TTYL

alex aka sohcrates
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon 14.Oct.02 12.08
To: Alexander James Kosowski
Cc:
Subject: RE: Map Light Rattle - Kill the RATTLE!

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the explanation. However, my rattle seems like it's coming from the panel covering the motion sensor (the plastic, grey-colored, vent thingy between my dome light and sunroof) and the dome light cover. In my attempt to kill the rattle I cut out a square piece of foam and fit half behind the motion sensor panel and left the other half exposed to dampen the dome light cover (see picture). I was sure that this took care of it but it was back later that afternoon. The only thing that seems to fix the rattle is if I hold my finger on the dome light. I tried taking my dome light cover off and the rattle seemed to come from the motion sensor cover. Hi bass and/or the snow chain ravaged roads in Lake Tahoe seem to exacerbate the rattle. Damn the rattle! Do you think my rattle is really coming from the map lights? Were you able to dampen the noise by placing your hand on your dome light cover?

Thanks again,

Jason

"Alexander James Kosowski" &lt;alex@kitt.dhs.org&gt;
10/11/02 05:37 PM
To: &lt;JCioffi@icorally.com&gt;
cc:
Subject: RE: Map Light Rattle

Here ya go. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/139986.phtml

alex aka sohcrates

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri 11.Oct.02 12.24
To: Alexander James Kosowski
Cc:
Subject: Map Light Rattle

Hey Sohcrates,

Would you mind telling me how you fixed your dome light rattle? I have pinpointed both the light cover and the motion sensor cover as the culprits.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 11-21-2002, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Good to know. One thing I did differently was I used ...

Black silicone adhesive sealant instead of e tape.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:38 AM

Default just got my car back from the shop about 2 weeks ago

i've been moving to a new apt, so haven't had time to take map light out again.

but the rattle is back with a vengeance!

i plan on pulling the thing out this weekend and getting rid of ANYTHING that might rattle. i can keep you updated, and maybe take some new pics
Old 11-21-2002, 09:02 AM

Default i'm that guy.

who he's in touch with

anyway, what happened was i ripped it apart again.. which wasn't a good idea, because i had to go and install it at night.. but since i'm so used to this thing.. i put it on without a single damn light.. impressive no

anyway i can't seem to find the rattle this time.. but ya'know what its gone!

all i did was pull the thing out.. took it to my room where i began inspecting it.. and like i did the first time, i shaked the living hell out of it (quite a funny sight, reminded me of jerry maguire flipping out) anyway, nothing nada.. i did however tighten the two sockets (which was done in the article) the left one came a little loose, while the right one was really tight.

i moved every single part i could find around.. i even removed the pieces of tape (they really weren't needed) and put everything back in.. and the sound is totally gone now.. my problem was never with bass, it was driving on the highway, on smooth roads.. it would rattle like hell. also when i hit potholes going at 25-30 i would get it.

the second one came back, and although it sounded different, all i did was tighten the sockets and it worked again.. maybe it just sounded different because it was a little loose as opposed to being really really loose (like it was originally)

i dunno, all i know is that its gone.

now i have a damn rattle in the arm rest area.. its more towards the base, and the side curtain by the a-pillar driver side.. right where it says "airbag"

argh.. audi doesn't know a thing about quality.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I NEED instructions please.......
Old 11-21-2002, 09:20 AM

Default Re: I NEED instructions please.......

See the link below..."I've been in contact..."
Old 11-21-2002, 10:20 AM

also check out the URL below
Old 11-21-2002, 11:25 AM

Default interesting

i'm gonna take mine apart this weekend now definitely. plan to rattle the hell out of it as well :P

this "second" aka "post initial fix" rattle is *really* annoying!

Quick Reply: Attention dome light rattle victims...